I'm going to build a surf reel. I'd like the advice of everyone!

Started by Breadfan, January 25, 2022, 03:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breadfan

I fish on the east coast in North Florida and I use 6000/6500 size reels, Penn Fathoms, Squalls, 525's ect, ect. I'm ready to build a good 6500 size surf reel. I've been reading a lot. Long distance surf reels are a niche, not a lot about them on the web. It's there, just not a lot of it. I've kinda narrowed it down a little. I can go a number of ways. First, Akios is out. For some reason, they just don't do it for me. I also looked in Omoto reels, which I think makes the Akios reel. They seem OK but the vibe isn't there either. Plus, they don't sell parts, just the reel. They have many 6500 type reels though, as does Akios. I've thought about Abu but I really don't like their cages. I want a one piece solid billet aluminum cage. I'm not sure why they don't make one, they have many open cage reels made for the UK market since it is so big over there. I may use one for a platform though, or at least the brake plate. I want it to be 6:1. I'd have to change the main gear and pinion if I did start with the Abu break plate. QTS makes a nice cage, a little pricey though. ZZETATuning is another choice but they are very pricey. The Rocket Reel company makes some very nice reels and being completely compatible with ABU, it seems like a logical place to start. I can get the cage, spool, spindle, ceramic bearings, knobby mag, and anodized brass side plates for a little over 300 right now, and lately, the dollar/pound is in my favor. I already have the Abu guts, handles, star drag to go on it to get me started so that is a big possibility. Just need to change the main gear and pinion to 6:1. I know that can put a strain on any Abu type reel but I'm fishing for Pompano and aside from the occasional big ray, the fish are all under 5 pounds. Big sharks just break me off, so no worries there. And in the end, it's just gears that can be replaced. So, that is where I'm at. I could just by a complete reel, but where is the fun in that? Any long casters out there with some experience with any of the mentioned reel parts I've written about? As you can see, I am leaning towards the Rocket Reel Company. One thing I really like about them is 95% of what they make is all manufactured in England.

farmer56

farmer 56 here ...  i  like  your  style  ....  i  too  just  found  the rocket site   WOW  nice stuff .... sorry but i'm no help  ...  dennis

oc1

Send beachbob a PM.  He has explored it all and is dialed in.  But, he does not read here all the time.

Breadfan

Quote from: oc1 on January 25, 2022, 07:47:31 PM
Send beachbob a PM.  He has explored it all and is dialed in.  But, he does not read here all the time.

Done. Thanks.

beachbob

Quote from: Breadfan on January 25, 2022, 07:59:36 PM
Quote from: oc1 on January 25, 2022, 07:47:31 PM

Done. Thanks.

PM sent ....
revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

beachbob

revolving spool reels and long rods ~ longbows and feathered shafts ~ guitars that sing and growl

beachbob

My take is that as long as it's good tackle, it's all good, personal subjectivity rules from that point forward.

Most any decent reel/rod will get the job done for both distance and fishy catching.  My preferences are for Abu (Sweden built only) and Akios Shuttle (Omoto manufactured) reels.  My rods are mainly Zziplex but there are many other cheaper blanks/rods like Breakaway, CCP, and others, that'll more than get the job done.  I've been surf fishing the nor'east for over 70 years and caught my share of the local fishes.  I also enjoy casting revolving spool reels for distance.

You don't need anything more than an Abu 650x C3 $120 reel to reach out past 100 yards.  Once the entire level wind is removed and the side plates sealed, the bearings are naptha cleaned and 1 drop oiled, the centrifugal brakes might need tweaking.  I remove those brakes and install a mono mag, but that's just my preference.  For light surf plugging I use .31mm 14# Sakuma mono and .35mm 18# for bait and bigger fishies.

I use my Shuttle reels ONLY for distance casting and my Abu reels for fishing.   

The ABSOLUTE KEY to long distance casting is FORM.

Keep it wet and tight!

BB.

Breadfan

Quote from: alantani on January 25, 2022, 11:51:21 PM
i was expecting a spinner!!!!

https://www.therocketreelcompany.com/

Uhhh. No. Funny thing is, I've never liked spinners and when I was 15, I got my first bait caster, a Shakesphere President II. I've never looked back!

Breadfan

Quote from: beachbob on January 26, 2022, 12:02:50 AM
My take is that as long as it's good tackle, it's all good, personal subjectivity rules from that point forward.

Most any decent reel/rod will get the job done for both distance and fishy catching.  My preferences are for Abu (Sweden built only) and Akios Shuttle (Omoto manufactured) reels.  My rods are mainly Zziplex but there are many other cheaper blanks/rods like Breakaway, CCP, and others, that'll more than get the job done.  I've been surf fishing the nor'east for over 70 years and caught my share of the local fishes.  I also enjoy casting revolving spool reels for distance.

You don't need anything more than an Abu 650x C3 $120 reel to reach out past 100 yards.  Once the entire level wind is removed and the side plates sealed, the bearings are naptha cleaned and 1 drop oiled, the centrifugal brakes might need tweaking.  I remove those brakes and install a mono mag, but that's just my preference.  For light surf plugging I use .31mm 14# Sakuma mono and .35mm 18# for bait and bigger fishies.

Keep it wet and tight!

BB.

Yea, I'm good with all that. I have many nice rods and reels and I hold my own over here on the east coast. I just want to build one to well, build one! The time is right.

beachbob

Quote from: Breadfan on January 26, 2022, 12:52:44 AM
Quote from: beachbob on January 26, 2022, 12:02:50 AM

Keep it wet and tight!

BB.

Yea, I'm good with all that. I have many nice rods and reels and I hold my own over here on the east coast. I just want to build one to well, build one! The time is right.

Absolutely go for it!

thorhammer

Keeps us up on the narrative, brother!

Bob, where can we get a Zziplex these days? CTS, Century and some uper end Daiwa blanks are the best I see down here.

beachbob

Quote from: thorhammer on January 26, 2022, 02:14:01 AM
Keeps us up on the narrative, brother!

Bob, where can we get a Zziplex these days? CTS, Century and some uper end Daiwa blanks are the best I see down here.

Zziplex blanks - www.surfcastproshop.com

ReelFishingProblems

That website is dangerous.
I've been mostly surf casting over here and love my 6500C3CT but I too need a project.

Nick

oc1

That Rocket cage is pretty nice.  For an ABU floor plan to boot.