I'm going to build a surf reel. I'd like the advice of everyone!

Started by Breadfan, January 25, 2022, 03:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I think they quit making Torque star drags, which weren't magged in any case. Next up in an off the shelf model  there would be Fathom 15CS I would think. Do they even make a Calcutta 400S anymore? I don't think so, but that's the only other billet non-lw I can think of without getting into Siegler  / Saltiga price range. But it gets back to roll-yer-own, I like how that was put.

nelz

The Torque 100 is a first generation model and it is a star drag. It is the only first gen Torque that does have a magnetic cast control. And yes, it's discontinued.

thorhammer

Well crappo, Nelzy. I could've done without seeing that $500 unicorn I gotta find now :)

Never saw mag control on one.

nelz

Quote from: thorhammer on January 26, 2022, 10:20:59 PMWell crappo, Nelzy. I could've done without seeing that $500 unicorn I gotta find now :)

:D :D :D Yeah, it's a sweet reel, one of the few I haven't been dumb enough to sell and regret it yet.  ::)

I see they've been selling for around $350 on da bay, in nice condition too.

Rancanfish

Nelz, that little gem is worth a bit more than you think.  Torque is the original tank.  I believe it's the same size wise as my mint black Torque 12. I would sell it but it would have to be a pretty good chunk since I have two extra sets of gears.

As to the OP's quest I'd comment to just get a Penn Mag 525.  I'm going to use mine here on the Oregon Coast as soon as I figure out where. Nice reels but not a complete disaster if they get trashed.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

MarkT

Yeah, I love my 525 Mag with a Torque handle but  I've never used it on the beach. For the most part a small spinner or conventional is all you need for surf fishing.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oc1

Quote from: thorhammer on January 26, 2022, 10:20:59 PM
Well crappo, Nelzy. I could've done without seeing that $500 unicorn I gotta find now :)

I agree.  That's really nice.

Breadfan

Quote from: Rancanfish on January 27, 2022, 04:44:14 AM

As to the OP's quest I'd comment to just get a Penn Mag 525.  I'm going to use mine here on the Oregon Coast as soon as I figure out where. Nice reels but not a complete disaster if they get trashed.

Got one of those, and Squall II 15, plus a Fathom II 15CS. I fish the beach like it was a religion. Aside from a reel falling in the sand or getting dunked from time to time, they don't get too banged up. Do I need one? No. But I don't need 1/2 (or more!)the reels I own. I have a reel problem on my hands.  There, I said it.  

Breadfan

Quote from: nelz on January 26, 2022, 09:59:09 PM
The Torque 100 is a first generation model and it is a star drag. It is the only first gen Torque that does have a magnetic cast control. And yes, it's discontinued.

Yea. That is one nice reel.

MarkT

Quote from: Breadfan on January 27, 2022, 05:59:19 AM

As to the OP's quest I'd comment to just get a Penn Mag 525.  I'm going to use mine here on the Oregon Coast as soon as I figure out where. Nice reels but not a complete disaster if they get trashed.

Got one of those, and Squall II 15, plus a Fathom II 15CS. I fish the beach like it was a religion. Aside from a reel falling in the sand or getting dunked from time to time, they don't get too banged up. Do I need one? No. But I don't need 1/2 (or more!)the reels I own. I have a reel problem on my hands.  There, I said it.  

How many reels do you need? One more! Of course a rod to match!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Breadfan

Quote from: MarkT on January 27, 2022, 06:12:24 AM
Quote from: Breadfan on January 27, 2022, 05:59:19 AM

How many reels do you need? One more! Of course a rod to match!

It never ends...

thorhammer

Nope. I have prolly four dozen surf rods, and a whole lot more reels than that where could be used surf fishing, and I'm building a new one: And I surf fish once a year. To be fair, to be fair, to be faaaiiiiiiiirrrrrr, coda (in case you watch Letterkenney on Hulu, and you should!) I lived at the beach for ten years and was easily distracted by shiny baubles. If they were a deal.

Ron Jones

This will sound crazy, but if you are good with the 525, why not the Warfare? Same graphite frame, I know two people who fish them and love how they cast, and the price is hard to beat.

Its not a reel that comes up often on here, but I can't see any surf fishing I've done that I couldn't do with it.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Breadfan

Quote from: Ron Jones on January 27, 2022, 04:51:17 PM
This will sound crazy, but if you are good with the 525, why not the Warfare? Same graphite frame, I know two people who fish them and love how they cast, and the price is hard to beat.

Its not a reel that comes up often on here, but I can't see any surf fishing I've done that I couldn't do with it.

The Man

I've looked at those and the big thing (to me) is, they are not magged. All the 525's were magged after the first model (I have the 525Mag) I believe, as are the Fathom and Squall surf reels. Not sure if the Warfare could be magged, and even if they can, it would add about 40 bucks to the price to do it right, which bumps up the price to a Squall. I need my mags in some but not all my reels when the wind is blowing from the east! But yes, they do look like a very well priced reel that would work fine for the most part on the beach. I don't have to have mags, I can control the spool with different weight oils if need be, and brake blocks, if they have them. But I do better with mags, at least, I think I do!

Breadfan

So, the reel came in, as did the 6.3:1 gear and pinion. Like I said before, I bought the skeleton kit which consisted of the one piece cage, sideplates, spool and a spindle that is a little thicker and beefier (than the Abu) where it goes into the bushing on flat side. I also added the ceramic bearings to the order. I used my brakeplate from a older Abu 5000 and swapped out the 5.3:1 gear and pinion for the 6.3:1 gear, pinion and new drag washers. No problems (amazingly) there. I'm researching nice handles and another smaller star drag but for the time being, I just threw on the one that came off of my 5000. With no oil in the bearings I was getting around 2:30 seconds of free spool. I then slowed it down a bit with Red Rocket fuel, attached it to my 11ft RodGeeks surf rod I just built and headed to the neighborhood lake to cast a little. I always get weird looks as I am walking down to the lake with my surf rod. I do it often, testing different rods I have built over the last year. The lake goes down quite a bit and I can only let out about 3ft of leader before it touches the bank behind me, so it's not a full cast, just kinda of a 3/4 thump. The sinker was 150 grams. I have marked off yardages (trees) along the lake so I know for sure how far I'm casting. I cast about 15 times and on the last 7 or 8 I was putting it out at 110 yards. I tried and I tried but I could not make this reel backlash. It just sings. I did get it to fluff just a little after I backed of the mag about two turns. One turn off full mag and i could throw as hard as I wanted. I'm sure I will improve on this. To say I was all smiles would be an understatement. I didn't know if I'd take this reel fishing or not, I've never invested this much in one. But after casting it... Coupled with the surfrod, it has to be the lightest, easiest casting outfit i ever held. I could go down to the beach and cast artificials all day with this outfit and never get tired, so that is what i intend to do with it for now. Casting plugs 100+ will be a blast! Here are a few pics. Thanks to all who have helped me along the way and have given their .02c!

https://ibb.co/Rvrk9hR
https://ibb.co/hX7swpy
https://ibb.co/C5ZrFM0
https://ibb.co/mXCyTm4
https://ibb.co/wrHVqVF
https://ibb.co/mBBP6Yc