cozumel

Started by DougK, July 20, 2022, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougK

anyone have any experience of fishing around Cozumel ?

We're going for a family holiday and snorkeling so I don't have much time to dedicate to fishing. Ideally I'd like to sneak off early in the mornings for a couple of hours of shore fishing, but the options seem to be very limited. South of San Miguel where we are staying is a marine reserve with no fishing allowed. North apparently has some shore possibilities for small tarpon, cuda and jacks, but the shoreline is mostly private.

There are offshore charters for 600 and up, prefer punking around on my own near shore though..

oc1

This will be no help at all but I can't resist. 

The family and family friends I was with (six of us) chartered an old inboard wooden hulled boat with canopy top and crew of three.  We took a leisurely cruise through the inshore waters on the north shore.  It was mostly mangrove-lined canals.  This was not supposed to be a fishing trip but the crew trolled a feathered jig on a momo hand line.  After puttering around for a while they caught a baracuda about two feet.  The crew didn't seem too excited but I was stoked.  Then they pulled out a camp stove and some fruit to make a barracude luncheon. It was a really pleasant day.  I guess you could say it was memorable because that was in 1962.

DougK

those mangrove swamps are where the guides go for bonefish I believe.. thinking about renting a paddleboard..