Fred Hall Show Cancelled

Started by Bill B, February 22, 2022, 07:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Western Outdoor News is reporting the Fred Hall Show has been cancelled.  There are a lot of rumors out, but I don't know the true reason. Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

El Pescador

Bill,

I too just received the same email from Western Outdoor News.

Too bad, Lifelong buddy, Jerry, and I were planning on a visit.

What's a Mother to do???

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bill B

Wayne, when life has you down and out and you're down on your hands and knees, the only think left to do is sit down and have and beer ( or Zin). 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Most likely, the official reason from the operators of the Fred Hall Show — to cancel this years event, will be —

To protect the vendors, employees, and general public during this Pandemic era —

They will also blame the City of Long Beach for restrictions and costs of operating a venue of this type —

This is what most businesses and corporations are doing nowadays — blaming others and Covid.

I believe the real reason will be financial —

They have been raising the booth prices for Vendors every year — to the point that it makes little sense for a vendor to participate.

Plus, due to poor management — the Vendors are not signing up as expected, like a bunch of lambs.

Plus competition from the recent SoCal Sport-fishing Show mean't that too many vendors participated there instead — and did not need to do the Fred Hall Show, also.

It just didn't pencil out to them — they would lose money due to a lack of vendors coupled with diluted attendance.

That is my guess.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

whalebreath

Quote from: foakes on February 22, 2022, 11:26:11 PM
Most likely, the official reason from the operators of the Fred Hall Show — to cancel this years event, will be....That is my guess.....Fred
Of course Fred is 100% correct and it's interesting to see how over the years how little has changed in the show/convention business.

I worked in the business for a while back in another century and once an industry started to lose steam the same old excuses were trotted out but those in the know could see how organisers shot themselves in both feet by squeezing exhibitors too hard and offering the attendees too little for too much money.

Half a dozen years ago just for shitz 'n giggles I volunteered to work the front desk at a show unrelated to any business I'd even worked in but that was said to be 'losing steam' and sure enough there it all was again-the difference I could see was that organised crime characters were seen openly associating with show organisers; I made my excuses and never put in my second shift.

Brewcrafter

Well, I will keep folks posted - every year several fishing buddies and I have gone and it usually works out that I would pony for the tickets; one of the other guys would drive (we are all out in the 909) and the other guys would cover the beer tab  :D  When news first started circulating that the show was going to be a bust, we all talked about it, couldn't rearrange our schedules for the Pac Coast show so we pretty much figured "it is what it is, money lost" which I can accept, its not like my kids are going to starve over it.  But now that they choose to cancel the show...I figure this is on them and I will lsee know how far I get - the website says something about Vendors getting refunds but no mention of attendees.  And since tickets were through a 3rd party ticket service, I'm pretty confident the service aren't gonna take a hit (I broke out my extra-strong reading glasses to see if there was the typical six point type size disclaimer of "no refunds, no rainchecks" and didn't see anything).  I shot an email to the Fred Hall address with a copy of my purchase receipt, we will see what we will see, it's in their court.  Bets that they respond with some kind of "force mejure" excuse?  of course, when my group was talking about it one of them did point out that with the money we usually spend at Fred Hall, we're actually probably coming out ahead on this deal  :D - john

Vintage Offshore Tackle

John, if you paid for the tickets with a credit card recently you can always dispute the charge.  Just send proof that the show was canceled and a copy of your refund request, and your credit card company will immediately issue a credit to your account.

Brewcrafter

All good.  The folks at Fred Hall responded promptly and told me to go through the 3rd party ticket sellers site, where there was a "click and go" mechanism for claiming a refund, and I received a follow up email acknowledging the refund.  Whatever the reason, I hope it returns back next year; for anyone that has never been the Long Beach event was remarkable. - john

foakes

Randy Pauly of Vintage Offshore was kind enough to let me help him and Karen with (3) shows over the years. 

Think the last one might have been '18 or '19?

Lot of fun, lots to learn, lots to see, lot of good folks to meet.

It was kind of Randy to allow me to help out a bit.

Here is the latest from the operators of the Fred Hall show —

2022 Long Beach Show

SHOW CANCELED

Owing to the ongoing pandemic caused by covid-19 and the local governmental protocols requiring masks, proof of vaccination and or at the door testing, we are not able to move forward with the Fred Hall Show at the Long Beach Convention Center. We are truly sorry about this last-minute development, but we were unfortunately led to believe that these types of government regulations would have been sufficiently lifted or relaxed by now. Such is not the case, and thus we cannot produce the kind of high-quality show that is expected by our exhibitors and the attending public under the current government restrictions. Again, we are truly sorry and exhibitor refunds will be available.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

It was a godsend having you there Fred!

We miss the show itself, and especially getting to see all of our fishing friends, but after twelve years of loading and unloading display cases and racks and merchandise at home, it just got to be too much for Karen and I, even with all of the help from our friends at the show.  

When we received an offer that we couldn't refuse to take over our slot at the show beginning in 2019, we took it.  They had a good year in 2019, but the Covid hit LA hard right in the middle of the 2020 show, and 2021 and now 2022 we're canceled, so we were lucky that we pulled the plug when we did.

Funny thing is that since I was always in our space during show hours, I never got a chance to walk the show and see what it was all about.

PacRat

Sure was a godsend Randy. I went to your booth looking for something special (and to chat) and you were just overwhelmed with visitors to your booth. Fred was sitting there and started a conversation with me and at some point it turned to AT.com and I confessed that I just lurk but don't participate. Fred encouraged me to join, which is the best advice. I'm glad I had that conversation with Fred that day, one of the most rewarding things I ever did was joining the Ohana. Thank you Fred and Randy.

-Mike