Mystery ABU Ambassadeur 5000 "Red" 3 side plate screws

Started by tipupsteve, January 30, 2012, 03:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tipupsteve

I recently obtained a new abu ambassadeur 5000 reel from my father (he's 85).  As far as I know he never used it and claimed he was unable to adjust it properly.  I got it adjusted in a couple of minutes and it works great!  However I know very little about this reel and want to know the history of this reel.  It has reel seat #844472, any idea of the manufacturing date, and any idea of the gear ratio, any idea of the value of this reel.  I have used it a couple of times muskie fishing and find I have to crank it quicker than my other baitcasters.  Should I retire this reel and get a new C3/C4, or use it for some other type of fishing?  Please let me know at your earliest convenience

Ken_D

Hio, are the sideplate tops rippled, bevelled, or flat. Is the reelstand foot, plain, or dimpled. From the s/n*, sounds like rippled. Are the three thumbscrews mushroomed, or square with a screwdriver slot.

Your gear ratio sounds like 3.8-1, further lending credence to the early rippled models. They fetch anywhere from 30-400.00 on the "auction" site eeb, eh? depending on condition and accessories, like the box, pouch, tool vial, etc. The top end is conditional to who wants it the most.  This unit went for cheap when it came out.. ~~Now~~ which see !!!    http://tinyurl.com/797n2m6

If the side plates are pristine, and you have everything, then scope out the fleabag and check present day pricing. As above, It all depends on who wants it the most.  If you are planning on fishing it, the value will depreciate in direct proportion to the amount of "boat rash" the unit gets. The "beaters as above go for about 30-40 and ship. Hope this helps. KD.

* Ask Simon at mrambassadeur.com. He has the list of the early s/n's.

tipupsteve

Thanks for the quick reply. The reelstand foot is plain, and the thumbscrews are mushroomed.  I am not sure about the sideplates but I think they are rippled.  I have used this reel several times and have no boat rash.  I have the original leather case, tools and lube if that makes it more valuable.  I not sure about its value other than it is a fishing reel a with really slow retrieval.  In your opinion should I continue using it for muskie fishing?

Ken_D

Hi. If you like it, use it. If not, you could flip it, and buy a present day 55, or 6500 from the proceeds. If you hit the eeb, you can quickly get a sense of worth, as there will be all types of reels there, from scuzzy to factory fresh. 

Nuvole

Abu technology for tradition casting reel have not change much as compared to current Abu reel.
Change the drag washer to carbontex, and it should be as good(if not better) than current Abu.
Its a gift from you dad, and if I were you I'll make good use of that reel.