Haywire twist to Dacron Albright Knot Connection Tutorial

Started by broadway, February 01, 2012, 05:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastalobsession

Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

broadway

Jimmer,
    I tie another haywire to Albright from the wire to the 20 feet of fluoro leader I use (40 lb usually 60lb with umbrellas). I don't use any chafe gear for stripers ever... Do it right the first time and you won't need it.

Misokat,
   I know that most people switched over to braid and drails from wire, but I'm not a fan of drails 20 feet down my line. I believe it works as leveraging the hook out while reeling in a fish... Like a hook out would. I have done it and seen it before. :( it is much easier and you can use lighter gear for the same size fish. To each his own, right?!
Thanks
Dom (signing in from fla)

Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Thanks for the sticky, Alan!  ;)
PS- Did you guys notice the second to last photo in the tutorial? ... Check it out, it looks like my thumb has a built in lighter  ;D
Dom

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

Alan,
   Can you retrieve my photos or are they goners?
Dom

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

I dunno where they went? I can't get them up on my screen ???

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on April 30, 2012, 06:21:28 PM
I dunno where they went? I can't get them up on my screen ???

Dom:  This is an easy enough fix.  Bring up photobucket in another window.  Go to your original post and click on "Modify" in the upper right hand corner.  When your original post comes up, highlight your first photo and switch windows to Photobucket.  Highlight and copy the IMG Code and go back to your post and paste it on the highlighted code in your post.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

I finally listened to ya, Dominick... Photos reinstated!
Enjoy,
Dom

GClev

This was a great thread, but here's the twist.  The original "Haywire" from the 1960s is shown below.  The twist in this thread, the "one-around-the-other" twist for heavy wire, was misidentified in several books on knots and fishing throughout the 1970s and the confusion was only complicated and promulgated by the internet, to the extent that the real "Haywire" is almost instinct.

This is not my wrap, my memory or an interpretation.  This is a photo of an original Beuchamp wire leader (with the hook removed courtesy of photoshop) from the original 1940s(?) cello pack.  These leaders are from dacron days, green line, before mono, when wire was the only lo-vis leader available.  The pic is deceiving; the wire is 30# and the original leaders included a hook at one end and a ring at the other.  I kept the wire to fish iron because it lets a jig swim so much better, a trick from Dick Gaydosh, Prowler skipper, circa 1970.

broadway

Have you ever tried to make barrel wraps in wire? If so, you know doing that many wraps is totally impractical and unnecessary. Too many wraps (like the one in the pic) isn't good in my opinion. It makes the whole knot too rigid and it won't slide through guides very easily.
Some things become extinct for a reason. Kinda like knuckle buster reels. They served their purpose until something better came along.
Thanks for your posting ...we've come a long ways.
Dom

GClev

Quote from: broadway on March 04, 2019, 03:31:56 PM
Have you ever tried to make barrel wraps in wire? If so, you know doing that many wraps is totally impractical and unnecessary. Too many wraps (like the one in the pic) isn't good in my opinion. It makes the whole knot too rigid and it won't slide through guides very easily.
Some things become extinct for a reason. Kinda like knuckle buster reels. They served their purpose until something better came along.
Thanks for your posting ...we've come a long ways.
Dom

Dom, your knot is your knot.  I never meant to connect you in any way to the stolen Haywire name.  Sorry.

broadway

Gclev,
   I took no offense to your posting and appreciate all kinds of comments on tackle, reels, knots, etc. no matter if it's better, worse, or just different from the way I do things.
My apologies if that's how you took it because that's not how I meant it.  I have done long barrel wraps and find it gives an unnatural look to baits when not trolled and it is hell on guides when wireline trolling cause there is very little flexibility in wiggling through the guides.  The worst part is when it's that long and inflexible it doesn't wind on the spool properly. 
I'm always willing and excited to learn knew tricks so cough them up ;)
Thanks
Dom