Fish Hook/Extra Short Gaff

Started by Bill B, March 23, 2022, 12:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I received my hand gaff in the mail yesterday and it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Just looking at it there's no way to tell that it isn't professionally made. The small oak handle fits perfectly in my hand and overall size will make it easy to store in my bag until i need it back at the landing. If you're in the market for one I highly suggest you contact Bill and work out a deal!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Bill B

Thank you for the kind words PJ! I hope you cover it it in fish slime 👍. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Cuttyhunker

Reminds me of a story of dad and another guide out meat fishing stripers with long surf rods and Squidders from a bass boat over a big rockpile.  They were throwing reverse Atom plugs with the head chamber drilled out to fill with water for extra distance.  Disaster if they landed on a boulder.  During the course of the night the gaff was lost overboard so the rest of the fish were brought in using a Tony Acceta "Pet Spoon". The body of it was larger than the palm of your hand with a solidly attached single 9/0 hook. Any port in a storm.
Doomed from childhood

Dominick

Quote from: Bill B on March 27, 2022, 12:36:48 AMPJ I put your gaff in the mail today... let me know what you think or can improve. Bill

Bill, Gary (GS Tours) our buttman has made a gaff that will allow the fish to spin without breaking your wrist.  I got to use it on my Alaskan trip with Gary and it is an efficient tool.  I trust that Gary will see this and post some photos of his gaff.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Nice work Bill, reminds me of bail hooks in the wool industry, although the hook on them is a bit shorter, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat