A Fladen multiplier's journey from not so good to awesome.

Started by Tile, May 23, 2022, 10:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

I bought a Fladen Chieftain DST 5/0 multiplier reel in unused condition and immediately I spotted several areas of concern: the handle shaft had no proper support, plastic yoke posts and poorly designed jack plate guides. The first improvement was to make a support bushing for the handle shaft so it can relieve strain on the plate mounts, then I took advantage of the yoke posts being hollow and used them with a pointer to mark the locations of the holes for the new mtallic ones. I had laying around some laptop hinge parts and they made great yoke posts and then I drilled the holes and mounted the new metallic yoke posts. The original ones were trimmed to about 3mm height. The original jack plate guides were also trimmed and I designed and 3D printed a new jack guide in PETG plastic and this is affixed to the yoke posts.

This reel has some good things going for it: good solid frame, stainless steel pinion gear and also a brass main gear. Also the original drag washers were replaced with Carbontex ones.

In solid fiberglass we trust

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Cool!
A "Fladen Chieftain". Where and who makes this one? Want to hear how your tests go...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tile

I have a strong suspicion that this model was made by Omoto as I saw identical reels listed for sale in Australia. These upgrades were made to improve this reel's longevity.
In solid fiberglass we trust