Penn mag power 980 eccentric spring

Started by Fishinggut, October 11, 2017, 10:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 13, 2017, 01:01:33 AMWhen you tighten that eccentric nut on the other side, there should be no way for it to fall out.
Clearance on the inside of the plate doesn't allow this.
Do what thor said and put the spring in the hole of the eccentric, but don't put the other end into its fixed position until you have the lever and nut tightened on the outside.
Then use a small screwdriver to pry it up and grab it with a pair of needle nose to put the other end in position.
From looking at your picture, there in not enough tension on the spring.
The eccentric position should not let it move that far. Yours is straight down.
There is a small flat portion on the underside that keeps that spring from moving outside its range.
I think it is out of range when you tighten it up, leaving a gap for it to fall out of.
This pic is of a Bigger Senator, but the principle is the same on Penn Star Drags. See the bend on that spring?
It is in the notch and can't come out.
It is either that, or your plate is damaged letting it move out of range.
In my picture, that is as far as that spring can move on the eccentric.
Please let us know if you figure it out.
The only other diagnosis is a picture of your plate without the eccentric installed.

Great write up / response.  I followed your method (mostly).  I used two very small screwdrivers on the straight end of the eccentric spring, each 2 mm blade.  I pried up the spring to lift it up over that little round nub, and used another small screwdriver to coax the end of the spring over the nub.  I just didn't have a needle nose fine enough to do the job on this 113H spring.  For the record, had to file down the turned up part of the spring so it wouldn't protrude above the top surface of the cam.  Don't over do the file or you won't have enough meat on the spring to stay in the cam.  Great website, glad to be on.  Be sure I'll be looking for some delicate needle nose pliers.

Rancanfish

Whoa, that was momentarily a joy.  I thought this was a new thread,(didn't check dates), and Alan responded, and then my heart got light. Sal was talking Mag Power reels, and for a nano-micro second he was alive.

:d
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

He came to say hi on his birthday, if only in our heads :)

I have a DD 970 headplate Sal sent me when I when I needed to repair mine. Pretty sure he may have taken it off one of his reels. Matter of fact, pretty certain you sent me the tail plate I needed for that one!