Mini Plier Wrench from Knipex

Started by foakes, March 27, 2022, 07:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Here's the problem —-

You have just completed a very thorough cleaning and service on a spinning reel.  New bearing, new bail spring, proper lubrication —- it should work perfectly, right??

Well, after knowing you have done everything right —- the bail will not trip closed.

Solutions —-

Take the bail assembly back apart 2 or 3 times —- and retest until you get it right.

Or, just use this little smooth-jawed plier wrench to slightly bend the angle lever (bail mount).  This works every time —- and takes 15 seconds.

Smooth jaws will not mar the surface like a crescent or regular pliers —- it will not slip —- and it clamps and releases immediately.

I also use these for removing the hex nut on a rotor in a hurry, or holding a small part when using the wire wheel to burnish it.  It is the quickest, safest, and most efficient way to hold a small part such as a dog or washer.

There are many other uses for this tool around your reel bench.

Knipex makes these in various sizes —- I like this little 5" mini model for reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Jenx

Thanks for the tool recommendation.

Are there any other Knipex tools you find invaluable to reel repair/maintenance?

I started buying German made tools last year (Knipex, Wera, Wiha), and I'm always down to add another tool to the bag.

My Knipex needle nose pliers (31 11 160) have been indispensable for me of late.

MarkT

Great tool, I have the 180 and 250 sizes. :d
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ClintB

Thanks for the tip! I'm always on the lookout for cool tools.

foakes

Quote from: Jenx on March 27, 2022, 08:19:01 PMAre there any other Knipex tools you find invaluable to reel repair/maintenance?

I started buying German made tools last year (Knipex, Wera, Wiha), and I'm always down to add another tool to the bag.

My Knipex needle nose pliers (31 11 160) have been indispensable for me of late.

I think anything that Knipex offers is top boat.

I also use Wiha & Wera for screwdrivers.

Pretty well set on most tools.  But always on the lookout for something that might work well.

A top quality tool is the least expensive to purchase.

Why?  Because it saves time, damaged parts, is quicker to operate, never has to be replaced, and no drama.

Pros use the best —- and never look back.

One of my uncles was a professional Diesel truck mechanic.  Had all Snap-On tools in 2 big rollaways with top and side boxes also.  Up to 1" drives, impacts, everything.  I asked Dirk one time what the most expensive tool he ever bought was —-

He just said "the one that didn't work".  He was old school and a man of few words.

A friend and good member on our site, Steve, sent me a new Knipex electrician's knife for Christmas.  It is fantastic for electrical work —- but also for nearly anything else.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.