Rough bearing 2052

Started by JeffG, March 28, 2022, 01:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffG

Just in case I need to replace is there a place that sells the exact bearing or does anyone have the exact measurements of one? I can check with some calipers when I get home in a couple of hours.

Thanks
Jeff

Midway Tommy

Sometimes there's a number on them but it usually takes measuring. New old stock Shakespeare/Pflueger parts & bearings are tough to come by. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

PacRat

Here's a copy of my cheat-sheet. I add to it when I need new bearings. I measure them I.D. then O.D. then thickness. I convert them from decimal to fractions and metric, then go shopping. I just look for the bearing that comes closest in the three parameters. They can decimal, fraction, or metric. I usually purchase a few extra to save on future shipping cost because there will be more reels.
-Mike

JeffG

Quote from: PacRat on March 30, 2022, 06:49:56 AM
Here's a copy of my cheat-sheet. I add to it when I need new bearings. I measure them I.D. then O.D. then thickness. I convert them from decimal to fractions and metric, then go shopping. I just look for the bearing that comes closest in the three parameters. They can decimal, fraction, or metric. I usually purchase a few extra to save on future shipping cost because there will be more reels.
-Mike

Thanks Mike!

Jeff

JeffG

Well, I tried grease and it didn't help much. So I went to good ole Amazon and ordered a bearing, actually it's a 10pk. for around 10 bucks. They will be here Saturday. I will update then.
Thanks
Jeff

handi2

Hey Jeff,

The ones you ordered are going to be chromed steel. Although they may be ok for freshwater they will rust quickly in saltwater.  Even the SS bearings rust because of the lesser 410 SS they use.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JeffG

Quote from: handi2 on April 01, 2022, 10:43:30 AMHey Jeff,

The ones you ordered are going to be chromed steel. Although they may be ok for freshwater they will rust quickly in saltwater.  Even the SS bearings rust because of the lesser 410 SS they use.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I was thinking about that. I live in Illinois so shouldn't be a problem. I'll probably be cleaning and relubing all the time anyway.

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

Right!

And you have 9 spares!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JeffG

Quote from: foakes on April 01, 2022, 03:46:45 PMRight!

And you have 9 spares!

Best, Fred

Well Fred, it says they are sealed, so hopefully not as easily penetrated when it comes to being caught in a typical rain storm. But for $10 I'm sure the quality isn't the best, but you never know. The brand is PGN out of Florida, we'll see if they are actually made here.

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

They will work just fine on a Shakes 2052, Jeff.

Sometimes I think we over-amp on what a reel really needs as opposed to how it will be actually used.

Good for sticking with it and getting it done, Sir!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JeffG

Hopefully the wife agrees with ya! But I'll probably hear, "What do you need 10 of them for?!" Lol!

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

Bearings on reels are like nails and screws to a framing carpenter.

Waste and drop as few as possible —- but never take the time to pick up the extras that you do drop.

There is time for that later —- but stay focused on the job —- and get it done.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

It will be interesting to hear how much difference the new bearing makes. It could very easily just be a little gear noise transferring from the main gear & pinion worm gear through the main shaft. I've seen that happen a lot on older reels.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JeffG

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 01, 2022, 06:05:35 PMIt will be interesting to hear how much difference the new bearing makes. It could very easily just be a little gear noise transferring from the main gear & pinion worm gear through the main shaft. I've seen that happen a lot on older reels.

I'm thinking it could possibly be the same thing. But for a few dollars, I figured, what the heck. It's not a deal breaker, but my OCD can get the best of me sometimes. 🤣

happyhooker

Mike's cheat sheet should be helpful. I replaced the bearing on a Shaky 2071 awhile back; same size as noted in his sheet for the 2052 (7/8 x 3/8 x 9/32).  Old bearing had totally locked up and all the soaking in the world did zippo.  The reel still worked after a fashion by spinning on the shaft even with the locked up bearing.  Like night & day with the new bearing.  Cheap fix.

Frank