Tekota 500 HG maintenance tutorial?

Started by bgreen, May 09, 2022, 08:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgreen

Hi Wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a maintenance tutorial for the Tekota 500 HG or a similar reel that could guide me through the disassembly and reassembly process. Thanks for your advice.

alantani

it's straight in, straight out.  typical shimano design.  there is only access from the right side.  to get to the spool bearings, the entire reel must come apart.  not the most friendly design. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

The good news is I believe they resolved the flying pin under the star drag on the new model HGs.  :d

bgreen

Quote from: alantani on May 09, 2022, 04:02:50 PMit's straight in, straight out.  typical shimano design.  there is only access from the right side.  to get to the spool bearings, the entire reel must come apart.  not the most friendly design. 

Thanks Alan appreciate the reply will have a look then.. cheers

bgreen

David Hall Is that something i need to be wary of?

David Hall

It certainly was in the older models, when you back the star drag off the sleeve there's a small hole with a spring and a teeny tiny pin floating on it, thats what makes the "Click" when the star is turned.  pull the star off too quickly and sproing there it goes sailing across the room, to put it back you need to insert a toothpick
through the hole in the end of the gear sleeve and over the pin compressing it until the star is tightened enough to cover it.  Lose the pin and the only thing that happens is you won't hear or feel the clicking when you rotate the star.  I like that sound and the feel of a positive engagement so I ordered extra pins.   :d

alantani

you know that little hole at the top of the drive shaft?  install the spring and click pin, push the click pin in, then shove a toothpick down the top of the hole to lock the click pin in place.  drop the star down over the toothpick, screw it down until you hear clicking, then pull the toothpick and you're done!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bgreen

Thanks for clarifying... i will be on the lookout!
Quote from: David Hall on May 09, 2022, 08:34:35 PMIt certainly was in the older models, when you back the star drag off the sleeve there's a small hole with a spring and a teeny tiny pin floating on it, thats what makes the "Click" when the star is turned.  pull the star off too quickly and sproing there it goes sailing across the room, to put it back you need to insert a toothpick
through the hole in the end of the gear sleeve and over the pin compressing it until the star is tightened enough to cover it.  Lose the pin and the only thing that happens is you won't hear or feel the clicking when you rotate the star.  I like that sound and the feel of a positive engagement so I ordered extra pins.   :d

bgreen

Thanks Alan !
Quote from: alantani on May 09, 2022, 09:01:23 PMyou know that little hole at the top of the drive shaft?  install the spring and click pin, push the click pin in, then shove a toothpick down the top of the hole to lock the click pin in place.  drop the star down over the toothpick, screw it down until you hear clicking, then pull the toothpick and you're done!