Main Menu

Knife jig rigging

Started by pjstevko, March 19, 2022, 12:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

yeah, this is for really big stuff, usually at night.  for smaller fish, the knife jigs worked the best.  when i fished with james kikkawa on the new loan, the kids were all fishing knife jigs and hard headed me stayed with the flat falls.  the kids were hooking up left and right.  i couldn't catch squat until i finally switched over. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boon

What style of jigging? If there's any speed involved, one big assist hook on the top is the standard. Leader goes to the solid ring, assist hook also on solid ring. Jig hangs off it by a split ring. The jig/split ring never takes any load.

The Rip Rollers are, technically speaking, a big slow jig. For smaller reefy type fish it's common to use 2 sets of smaller assist hooks top and bottom, but if it's pelagics I'd be using one big assist top and bottom. Something 9/0-13/0 probably... those Mustads you have there look really good, probably the bottom end of the size I'd use but at least they're nice thick wire.

You don't need crazy heavy leader. 99.9% of the time you'll hook the fish in the jaw, or even outside the mouth, and the assist hook gives you some leeway as well. 400lb mono will seriously limit the action of your jig as well.

pjstevko

Quote from: boon on March 21, 2022, 02:04:52 AMWhat style of jigging? If there's any speed involved, one big assist hook on the top is the standard. Leader goes to the solid ring, assist hook also on solid ring. Jig hangs off it by a split ring. The jig/split ring never takes any load.

The Rip Rollers are, technically speaking, a big slow jig. For smaller reefy type fish it's common to use 2 sets of smaller assist hooks top and bottom, but if it's pelagics I'd be using one big assist top and bottom. Something 9/0-13/0 probably... those Mustads you have there look really good, probably the bottom end of the size I'd use but at least they're nice thick wire.

You don't need crazy heavy leader. 99.9% of the time you'll hook the fish in the jaw, or even outside the mouth, and the assist hook gives you some leeway as well. 400lb mono will seriously limit the action of your jig as well.

I'm gonna rig one with single assist hooks on each end, one with a set of assist hooks on the top and a jobo on the bottom...

These will be used at night and the heavy leader will be needed....

sciaenops

Sounds like a winner pj. Hope you get into em.

James Kikkawa

Right on Boon! Great insight!

My brother and I have had good success speed jigging bluefin tuna. Knife jigs in 150g/200g/250g have been our go to. 100/130/150lb leader has worked well for us. The depths we have noticed bluefin respond well is from 180-250ft.

During the day the bluefin have responded well to knife jigs darting in the zone. At night you can get away with fishing heavier line and heavier jigs.

Give the jigs a try during the day as well.

pjstevko

Thanks for the info. I have 180# flouro leaders made to use during the day and heavy mono for at night.

Gfish

Wow! Great fish pictures.
Hard to believe Bluefin's we're not targeted for the local domestic commercial/sport fishery years ago.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

pjstevko

Quote from: James Kikkawa on March 26, 2022, 07:41:03 AMRight on Boon! Great insight!

My brother and I have had good success speed jigging bluefin tuna. Knife jigs in 150g/200g/250g have been our go to. 100/130/150lb leader has worked well for us. The depths we have noticed bluefin respond well is from 180-250ft.

During the day the bluefin have responded well to knife jigs darting in the zone. At night you can get away with fishing heavier line and heavier jigs.

Give the jigs a try during the day as well.

James have you had any issues attaching your assist hooks to the heavy duty split rings?

I was always told to attach them to the solid ring of your leader if possible so no pressure is put on the split ring....

pjstevko

Here's what I've come up with...

400# swivel with chafe protection on 300-400# mono to a 400# solid ring with chafe protection and a 400# split. The jig and Mustad heavy duty assist hooks attach to the split ring and the jig has a big single jobo or assist hooks on the bottom