Hex driver bit size question.

Started by gstours, April 05, 2022, 07:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

In an effort to remove the sideplate and crank arm it came as a surprise that I did not have the correct driver size for an accurate boss 870 reel. :al
  Can someone help me with the size of the sideplate driver screws (Allen head) sae?
Or possibly metric Allen size? 
  Thanks for your reply.   I'd like to find a screwdriver type for the Allen instead of the ell shape larger common type.    :fish Gst.

handi2

I don't remember the size but they are definitely American hex.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

Thanks Keith,  as I'll have to order online, just wanted to not waste time nor money.
   Sae seems to make sense,  if that makes sense? :cf

Robert Janssen

Torx T7 on mine

handi2

T7 may fit but they are American Hex for a proper fit.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Robert Janssen

Maybe the specs changed at some time. Maybe they were hex once upon a time. Now they are Torx.
Do not mix & match hex with Torx.

day0ne

I've even had some Torx 6  on some reels
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Hardy Boy

T6 on the Acc Boss's that I work on.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

Thanks for your response,s fella's.   I did order a hex head mini screwdriver set from a reputable vendor to get going on a project reel.   
  After looking further in the deep sideplate screw holes I'm thinking I might agree with the idea of the torx head screw.   I've added some pictures with my handy phone 📱.   The last pik is the shift screw and it appears to be different in size and type of head.   And it also seems that the torx bits are more common in my searches.
  Thanks again for sharing your knowledge here.   Cheers to another project! :d

Gfish

Yeah, T-7 on my 2012 DP Boss Extreme, but side-plate screws only.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Thanks again for your information on the screws.  Its possable thru the different generations some things changed,  like the screws. :cf
  I will say now that the hex driver set arrived and the shift housing screws were hex as shown in my pik, and the 5/64'' seemed to fit good.
  And the sideplate screws seemed to be torks and the 1/16 hex fit them just fine.   Maybe others can benefit from this?  Just saying. ;)
 One last inquiry is the size/pitch of the two shift housing screws as i,d like to tap a new handle blank and make another offset crank arm for the twindrag 870.    Thanks for any reply.    Peace.