Penn 113h broadbill kit

Started by Jayden, January 22, 2024, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayden

Is the broadbill kit wider/have more line capacity than the 113hlw, and is it castable?

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Broadbill frame width is 3.125".  HLW is 3.0"

They are castable with practice.

If you are looking for some, here's a very nice pair of original 1970's reels with external drag access.  Both have the special large diameter Newell rod clamps. One has silky smooth 4:1 gears.  Both are 9+ on a 10 scale, except one has a deep scratch on the rear cross bar (see close up photo below).  $400 including shipping to Hawaii by USPS Priority Mail with tracking.

Bill B

Damn Randy, the stuff you dig out of the depths of your closet. Having visited your home I wouldn't be surprised to see Jimmy Hoffa drinking Old Fashions with Papa Hemingway on the back deck. 

And I still laugh when I think about your story of getting pulled over with the swordfish mount in the back of the truck. 🤣

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Bill B on January 23, 2024, 01:50:17 AMDamn Randy, the stuff you dig out of the depths of your closet. Having visited your home I wouldn't be surprised to see Jimmy Hoffa drinking Old Fashions with Papa Hemingway on the back deck. 

And I still laugh when I think about your story of getting pulled over with the swordfish mount in the back of the truck. 🤣

Bill

Thank you Bill.  Sometimes I too am surprised at what I find here when I am looking for something else, and when I do, it feels like Christmas!

Brewcrafter

Folks - How does the "Broadbill Special" compare/differ to a "Hawaiian Wide"? - john

Bryan Young

Quote from: Brewcrafter on January 23, 2024, 07:53:39 PMFolks - How does the "Broadbill Special" compare/differ to a "Hawaiian Wide"? - john

Good question John. I wish I had the answer for you but I was gonna ask the same question.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

I haven't seen a Hawaiian Wide in NZ, but have built several Broadbill Specials over the years.
I believe the former is slightly wider, maybe holding an additional 50-odd yards of 80lb mono for example...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Vintage Offshore Tackle

The Broadbill Special is 3 1/8" wide between the side plates.  The Hawaiian Wide is 1/8" wider at 3 1/4".  The Broadbill is a Newell kit (although Tiburon made a few in that width back in the day).  The Hawaiian Wide is a Tiburon kit, which is a private label version of the T4WEX, and sold through selected Hawaiian tackle stores.

I have a nice pair of Broadbill Specials if anyone is looking for any.