6/0 narrowed? SoCal style

Started by Whit, April 10, 2022, 10:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Friends:

Looking back over several decades I realize I have never seen a "narrowed" 6/0.  This for fishing the iron, and such long range.   Yes, the 4/0 "yellowtail special" size, and yes the 349H size, but never a 114H with the narrow frame and spool.    As common as the 114H is, one would think it would be a natural to find them in use as a narrowed reel.

Am I totally missing something?

Thanks

Whit 

Cuttyhunker

Just go get yourself an old 49, doctor up the drag stack, faster and skinnier than a 114H, about the same diameter and cheap to get and keep.  Good old reel.
Doomed from childhood

Swami805

Randy had a run of extra narrow frames and spools for a 6/0 made by Tiburon. Check out the vintage offshore tackle section, should be a few threads there
Do what you can with that you have where you are

handi2

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on April 10, 2022, 01:11:26 PMJust go get yourself an old 49, doctor up the drag stack, faster and skinnier than a 114H, about the same diameter and cheap to get and keep.  Good old reel.

The 49 doesn't have any drag at all. You need a 349. Different animal.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

El Pescador

WHIT!!!

Call Randy, Vintage offshore, he hooked me up with my 6/0 Narrowed frame and spool.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

MarkT

As said, Tiburon made/makes a narrow frame & spool for the 6/0. Accurate made 3.25:1 gears for it too. They were pretty rare but one of the guys used a 114xn at Cedros. I'd rather be yo-yoing with my JX Raptor!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

Here's one next to a extra-wide. It's a beast for torque, but not easy to balance, unless you get your left arm/hand positioned right.F03D731F-214D-4088-BBDE-BBBC59A1FD28.jpeg
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!