Jig Storage Solution

Started by Bill B, April 15, 2022, 09:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

In an earlier post I was looking for ideas of where to obtain tubing for a jig storage bag.  Since then I decided to go old school with a modern twist.  I was originally going to use and old soft tackle bag, glue together some tubing and store my jigs.  I ended up making a a box with 1/4" plywood and sheet metal to hang the jigs.  The box measures 9 1/2" wide, 7" deep, and 9 1/2" tall with 45* corner blocks to stabilize the corners. The corners are simple butt joints, but I did ensure the end panels fit in front of the front/back panels so pressure from the shoulder straps do not push them in.  It fits perfectly inside the bag.  I used 16 ga. sheet metal bent in a 90* angle and 1/4" holes drilled on 3/4" centers to hang the jigs from.  I can get 45 jigs into the racks, a lot    more than if I used tubing.  I will admit it's kind of disconcerting to hear the jigs banging around inside, but as Keith stated, beat up jigs fish better than brand new.  The box probably added a pound of weight to the bag, but it pales in comparison to all the jigs loaded up. With 35 jigs, the bag tips the scale at 15 1/2 pounds. The soft tackle bag has pockets all around for additional storage and a good place to store rigged flat falls.  All that is left is to add a polyurethane to the box for water proofing and it's ready to go.  The entire build was done with stuff laying around the shop.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Hardy Boy

Well, there you go. Nice work.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

oc1

Wow!  What part of that is old school?  Get a patent quick.

Bill B

Thank you for the kind words.

Steve, it was common on the '70's deep sea boats to find wooden tackle boxes like the one pictured below.  When you opened them there were racks on one side to hang jigs like I did.  I cannot seem to find any pictures of what I have seen.  My box borrows the same idea of hanging the jigs, just on a bigger scale. I know this is kind of vague and I will keep searching for a better picture.  Bill

Added a second picture that shows a grid to hang the jigs.  The ones I saw had the steel hangers like I used instead of the grid. 

Added a third picture that IS what I was copying. 👍

PacRat

Here's a few photos. This one has dividers that also fit the larger long-range box. These dividers slide out and fit their other boxes so you can take the whole jig box or just swap the ones you want into the other box. Plus the removable dividers make it easy to see what's down in the slots.

funhog

Bill B.
back in the mid 70s and 80s a small cusstom Fishing tackle shop in Tustin, CA. named "The Bent Rod" that had a wide variety of wood tackle boxes like the one you have showing the bloody decks sticker. I'd really like to know the name of the company and address that's printed on the inside of lid to your box . It's a little blurry and can't quite read it. I believe they also made some really cool kitchen-et camping boxes/organizers you'd set on picnic tables for family camping.   Thanks! 

handi2

Quote from: Bill B on April 16, 2022, 05:23:40 AMThank you for the kind words.

Steve, it was common on the '70's deep sea boats to find wooden tackle boxes like the one pictured below.  When you opened them there were racks on one side to hang jigs like I did.  I cannot seem to find any pictures of what I have seen.  My box borrows the same idea of hanging the jigs, just on a bigger scale. I know this is kind of vague and I will keep searching for a better picture.  Bill

Added a second picture that shows a grid to hang the jigs.  The ones I saw had the steel hangers like I used instead of the grid.

Added a third picture that IS what I was copying. 👍

At a plumbing supply they use to carry copper banding iron.

It will turn green but that's the protective coating just like the Statue of Liberty

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

PacRat

Bowen's Sportsman Box, Covina, CA.

foakes

Good figuring out how to put an old proven system into a modern case, Bill!

Looks good!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cor

I've tried many different ways of storing and carrying my lures but never tried this way of hanging lures in a box/bag.

This looks like a nice solution that I'm going to try.   The only downside is that I don't put hooks on all my lures only about 3.   This is to avoid rusting as well as tangling of hooks.
Cornelis

Bill B

Quote from: Cor on April 16, 2022, 06:33:56 PMI've tried many different ways of storing and carrying my lures but never tried this way of hanging lures in a box/bag.

This looks like a nice solution that I'm going to try.   The only downside is that I don't put hooks on all my lures only about 3.   This is to avoid rusting as well as tangling of hooks.

Cor, for the hookless jigs you could cut some solid core copper wire, maybe 12 ga. and bend it into an "S" shape to hang them.  Bill

Cor

Cornelis

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Cor on April 16, 2022, 06:33:56 PMI don't put hooks on all my lures only about 3.  This is to avoid rusting as well as tangling of hooks.

For storing jigs w/o hooks I use this, easy to use & carry, stores a lot jigs.

Deadly Sebastes assassin.