The DAM Quick 250 Standard

Started by Gfish, April 17, 2022, 11:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Built to last—-ja tatsachlich!("yes indeed!"). A while back I got the last stuck screw outta this reel, an early 50's, model 250. I finally got around to this one for a complete disassemble-cleaning-rebuild. Impressed with the construction quality, I took my time and some pictures, and really enjoyed the whole process.

The Reel:
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

I'll dispense with the negatives first.
1) bail wire is relatively thin. 2) line roller doesn't spin. Suppose you could leave the nut loose with locktite on it and it probably would. 3) Most every part is removable with a few exceptions; the bail-trip lever unit is riveted to the rotor, as are the bail arm holders. 4) Ugly shape and heavy for it's size but I'll take those anyday over sleek looks and lightweight throw-away crapola engineering.
 I think of it this way; the best mate or spouse?——someone with a good heart and mind and personality, but not a hottie, maybe on the heavy side?...Or, a low IQ looker that's a sociopathological, money-grubbing cheater, that gives-up on you (just like a reel that breaks), when you really need them.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

The Handle Assembly:
All steel and brass except for the knob. One of the few steel pins on this reel is used as a pivot for the male threaded knob screw.

Gfish

The Gear Box, including the Drive Gear and Anti-Reverse Unit:

1) note the steel insert bushing for the drive gear shaft inserted into the aluminum gear box. Also note the steel insert formed into the brass drive gear shaft for the handle attachment.

2) all the parts are simi-permanently attached to the AR lever. Stretching the spring thereof, is the only mod./repair I did. That tightened things-up a bit. I love the set screw that anchors the whole unit into the gear box side.

3) also, note the AR engagement, i.e., the pawl and indentations on the back-side of the gear. That baby "pops"!
The 2 holes in the drive gear are where the screw and roller bushing unit attach for the oscillation system. Why would there be 2 holes?

foakes

Nice job, Greg —-

Thanks for showing your work.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Assembly: I left every thing loose. Things to note;

1) the Large pinion gear is fixed to a nice thick-long brass bushing, by 2 screws on opposite sides. Both the pinion and the bushing have matching threaded holes.

2) the spool shaft has a detachable(replaceable) spindle/click-gear held in place by a set screw. Some odd shaped teeth on that drag click-gear?

3) the single hole on top of the gear box is a lube port as well as a screw hole which is used to secure a VERY tight fitting side-plate.

4) wait! Almost forgot the spool shaft butt cap/bushing and circular nut. The brass nut secures the cap/bushing from inside the gear box. Some serious strength and shaft stability, here.

Gfish

Cover Plate with Adjustable Trip-lever Bumper:

1) this aluminum plate attaches to the top of the gear box and has good close tolerances to the moving rotor. It also covers the bottom of the rotor. Note the lock washer, nut and adjustment screw for the bumper. This adjusting unit fits down in the gear box when the cover plate is in place.

2) note that big rivet in the 3rd picture close to the bail arm—that's the other side of the trip lever.

Gfish

Rotor:

1) trip lever, there's a big rivet hammered down flat on the other side holding it in. Note the hollow brass pin that the lever pivots on.

2) 2 bail springs on each side with extra spring-tension adjustment holes for the end of the spring to stick into. Also, metal bail spring covers for each arm, that screw on. Sturdy and protective lookin.

Gfish

The Spool:

1) it splits horizontally in half. One of the 3 screws was a royal pain to get out until Wayne(Elpescador) sent me a set of "Bald Eagle" screwdrivers and one of 'em got that sucker! Good tools are indispensable. So, I guess the spool comes apart to change the metal drag washer?

2) a nice aluminum drag adjusting knob with a heavy-duty lookin spring up in there.

3) a removable clicK-spring and pawl on the underside. Don't know what happened to the spring, but it works...
Again, very close tolerance between the spool and rotor.

Gfish

So, on the whole reel; 1 piece of plastic(the Knob), some weird lookin cork stuff on the spool, and a tiny red rubber bumper on the trip-side of the bail arm. Everything else is steel, aluminum and brass. Some of the steel is magnetically positive, and some is not, so there's some stainless steel in there too.
Oh yes! I'm in love with this heavy and ugly old Gal! "I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me, she's too fat for me..." —-An old German Beer Barrel Polka song.
I'll take her!

Gfish

Quote from: foakes on April 18, 2022, 12:31:24 AMNice job, Greg —-

Thanks for showing your work.

Best, Fred

Thanks Fred. I really enjoyed diving into this one.

Midway Tommy

Well done, Greg! Thanks for the "inside scoop" on the Standards.  :D It's been a few years since I've been into mine so it's nice to get a refresher course. Those are tough old war horses!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Gfish on April 18, 2022, 01:39:04 AMSo, on the whole reel; 1 piece of plastic(the Knob), some weird lookin cork stuff on the spool, and a tiny red rubber bumper on the trip-side of the bail arm. Everything else is steel, aluminum and brass. Some of the steel is magnetically positive, and some is not, so there's some stainless steel in there too.
Oh yes! I'm in love with this heavy and ugly old Gal! "I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me, she's too fat for me..." —-An old German Beer Barrel Polka song.
I'll take her!
Funny you say this , I know standards as Gertrude .     Now i have a desire to find beer barrel polka `s on the radio !!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

These DAM Quick Standards & S.W. 68's are around 68 years old.

Here is a schematic & parts list from that era.

And here is what I believe to be the only comprehensive and largest assortment of NOS parts in the world for these reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Cool. You ever have to rivet-on onea those bail arm holders that go on the outside of the rotor? Or, maybe the bail release lever onto the underside of the rotor?

I have the DAM Quick PDF file you provided for us all, Fred. I checked the 250 you posted here, the spool in that schematic is different from what I have. Mine comes apart and has 3 screws securing the 2 half's vertically. The correct spool for this reel?