The DAM Quick 250 Standard

Started by Gfish, April 17, 2022, 11:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Yes, there are different versions over the years, Greg —-

I have never personally riveted those parts together.  But it should be easy enough to accomplish.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

Great post Greg
I have two of these reels.
One is in Fred's care and the other has been staring at me for while just daring me to figure out how to remove the Very tight side plate. I have been unsuccessful so far.

Gfish

Cool. Try removing the screw, then CAREFULLY wedging some'in pointy like a fish hook between the side-plate and body. Them tolerances are tight and prolly keep out water from the gearbox. "Ja, ve are ein very disciplined unt perfection oriented people".
Put a drop of oil in the hole before you screw it back in. Maybe grease the edges of the side-plate to make sure it seals back-up.

It's real unfortunate, but I've heard all kinna bad stuff about German car Company vehicles manufactured in the last(?)years. One mechanic even said they use low-quality plastic now in many of the wrong places. Do they godda jump-off that bridge just cause others, such as Ford, have? They already charge a small fortune to service/repair these vehicles...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Paul Roberts

Cool reel, Greg. Nice work too.

Curious, despite the quality components, are those bevel gears a bit on the noisy (buzzy) side? I ask bc I have a few old bevel gear reels that buzz. Wondering if it's just the gear design, or quality (tolerances and wear)?

handi2

I have one too G.

It would be mint if I had a new cover screw. I'm sure Fred has one

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wompus Cat

Excellent work and pictorial Greg.

I will certainly Refer to this when I tear into mine soon .
Thanks  for the Hard Work and Pointers.

Rollen Sie das Fass aus, wir werden eine Menge Spaß haben
  Rollen Sie das Fass aus, wir haben den Blues auf der Flucht
  Zing boom tararrel, lass ein Lied der guten Laune erklingen
  Jetzt ist es an der Zeit, das Fass ins Rollen zu bringen, denn die Bande ist alle hier

AND she's too Fat For Me Polka by Arthur Godfrey in 1947
Kinda
They don't make songs like dat no more .....

:d
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

Quote from: Paul Roberts on April 25, 2022, 07:50:12 AMCool reel, Greg. Nice work too.

Curious, despite the quality components, are those bevel gears a bit on the noisy (buzzy) side? I ask bc I have a few old bevel gear reels that buzz. Wondering if it's just the gear design, or quality (tolerances and wear)?

Yes. I figured it was wear given the age. Nothing is loose in there with the bushings, so perhaps it's gear tooth wear and that'ed prolly be the bronze main.

We gotta watch-out or the "shut-down" culture will come after us for "fat shaming"  😃.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Wompus Cat

QuoteGfish
We gotta watch-out or the "shut-down" culture will come after us for "fat shaming"  😃.

Why she ain't Fat ,she's FLUFFY
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on April 25, 2022, 08:20:54 AMI have one too G.

It would be mint if I had a new cover screw. I'm sure Fred has one

Keith

Sure do, Keith —-

I had sent you one a year or two ago —- but it must have gotten into the lost & found.

It is German Silver, like many parts on the early DQ's.

German Silver is not real or Sterling Silver —- it is rather an alloy mix of copper, zinc, and nickel.  It is targeted for its strength, durability, as well as keeping it looking good with no tarnish or rust.

I will send out the sideplate screw for the Standard —- along with the DQ 275 2-Speed you sent me for a full restore to new.

It is scheduled to be completed today —- and will be sent out this week.

Found some 60 year old new parts to use on your 2-Speed.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on April 25, 2022, 02:17:23 PMWe gotta watch-out or the "shut-down" culture will come after us for "fat shaming"  😃.

To hell with them if they have no sense of humor, I'd be too fat for  their satisfaction. ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

That's a big part of it: no sense of humor. My guess'ed be that they aren't as offended as they pretend to be, but love the attention, power and group identity of "virtue signaling".

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL