Main Menu

Odd Tube Lure

Started by nelz, April 19, 2022, 05:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I was rummaging through an old box of fishing junk that I bought from an old-timer back in the 80's at a yard sale. In the mix, I found four of these lures, all brand new, Charlie Pasquale "Made only by Diamond Feather Lures".

Google searches have turned up absolutely nothing at all about them. Can somebody tell me how they are used? Maybe I'll give one a try.

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

handi2

There are saltwater versions that are longer. Made for Needlfish and Barracuda.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

nelz

Wompus, thanks, but I too found plenty of info about the company and their metal lures, however I was asking about this lure in particular, haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Seems their metal lures were a big hit back in the day.

nelz

Quote from: handi2 on April 19, 2022, 07:57:32 PMThere are saltwater versions that are longer. Made for Needlfish and Barracuda.

Keith, from the package's graphics this one's intended for striped bass, I just wonder how it's used. Is it trolled? Cast? Perhaps fished with a bait like an eel attached?

Btw, the cuda lures are surgical tubes, this one is hard plastic.

Squidder Bidder

Are you certain that the lure goes with the product card? Diamond jigs with feathers are common enough.

Are you even sure it's a lure? It doesn't look like you could cast it very far from the surf, and it doesn't look like you could troll it absent a plane or downrigger weight.

Maybe the old timer just used the tube to keep the braided wire from getting kinked up and the tube isn't intended to be fished. It looks like something that you could rig up with a dead eel and some rigging floss.

nelz

I have four of these rigs, all identical, they look factory made, and one in sealed bag.

Certainly not castable, (too light) and the leader is very heavy mono. I'm really thinking this goes with a bait like an eel, which is a favorite striper bait.

oc1

You can use it to rig your eel skin.  You do keep your eel skins.  Right?  Water flowing through the tube when it is retrieved makes the eel skin billow up and look even more eel-like.  It's a Northeast striper thing.

nelz

Quote from: oc1 on April 20, 2022, 05:29:11 AMYou can use it to rig your eel skin.  You do keep your eel skins.  Right?  Water flowing through the tube when it is retrieved makes the eel skin billow up and look even more eel-like.  It's a Northeast striper thing.

Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner!  :d

This sounds totally feasable and is no doubt correct. Have you lived on the Northeast at some time?

I've never fished eels or eelskins in any way shape or form, and here in the Souththeast never seen it done either. But I'm sure I'll McGiver sumptin' outta this rig!  :fish  Thanks man.

philaroman

looks cool...  might it also prevent delay live eels from getting wrapped up?

Squidder Bidder

Quote from: nelz on April 20, 2022, 02:58:30 PM
Quote from: oc1 on April 20, 2022, 05:29:11 AMYou can use it to rig your eel skin.  You do keep your eel skins.  Right?  Water flowing through the tube when it is retrieved makes the eel skin billow up and look even more eel-like.  It's a Northeast striper thing.

Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner!  :d

This sounds totally feasable and is no doubt correct. Have you lived on the Northeast at some time?

I've never fished eels or eelskins in any way shape or form, and here in the Souththeast never seen it done either. But I'm sure I'll McGiver sumptin' outta this rig!  :fish  Thanks man.

Here's a video of a guy rigging eel skins on a plug:

Eel fishing (that is, fishing with live eels) is something else. There are dozens of tips, fishermen's wives' tales, and superstitions about fishing them.

oc1

Quote from: nelz on April 20, 2022, 02:58:30 PMHave you lived on the Northeast at some time?
We used to spend part of the summer on Cape Cod when I was a kid.  Fishing for cobia in the Southeast we would change out an eel if it died.  If it isn't tangling up everything then it's not as attractive to the cobia.

handi2

Quote from: philaroman on April 20, 2022, 03:52:27 PMlooks cool...  might it also prevent delay live eels from getting wrapped up?
Quote from: philaroman on April 20, 2022, 03:52:27 PMlooks cool...  might it also prevent delay live eels from getting wrapped up?

We just keep them on ice.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Finest Kind

Hi Neiz,
I just saw this old post and thought I'd weigh in. I believe it is a plastic version of a "turkey bone lure". That was a trolling lure made from a turkey leg bone that was used for bluefish going as far back as sailing catboats that used to troll bluefish for market in the 19th century. I had heard that
'modern' ones were made from plastic. It looks similar to an eel skin rig, except an eel skin rig would probably be made from lead or brass and have some type of a flange to allow you to tie off the skin, and having the hooks attached with toilet chain for weight and flexibility. I don't know anybody who uses them anymore, but rigged eels and eel skin plugs are still a favorite of sharpies and trophy hunters.
John

Crab Pot

My guess would have been a top water drag bait like a cigar.

Must have bigger Stripers on the east coast then we do on the left coast, that mono leader looks like 100 pound test or more.

Good thing Stripers aren't leader shy.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.