More Than Ever Needed to Know About Pliers

Started by foakes, April 22, 2022, 08:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

This morning, I ordered (4) new tools from Knipex for reel work that I thought might be useful.

Thought I might order one of their catalogs also.

Then discovered that (21) of their catalogs are online as PDF's.  I have so many catalogs that I keep, plus toss out every year —- just don't need more clutter.

How about a 285 page catalog of pliers?

With complete descriptions, photos, usages, specs, innovations, and technical applications.

I am super impressed to see this much information, product spread, and specialized information in a great format.

Leave it to the practical German mindset —- to be so exact in the manufacturing and technical applications for a pair of pliers!

If you ask these guys what time it is —- they will tell you how to build a watch.

This is great stuff!

Best, Fred

https://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/knipex-19655.html
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

I have their plastic grip pliers and found the plastic too hard and too narrow to work well.

I found a much better pair on eBay. They have a softer and larger surface area.

I looked and didn't see them anymore,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Lunker Larry

Their Knipex bolt cutters are the best for cutting hooks. They have become the must have hook cutter as they easily cut the biggest hooks. They even advertise in the muskie mags now. Fishing muskie, to ensure less stress and damage to the fish, we often cut hooks.Muskie may be a big fish but stress out pretty easily. A hard spring or warm temps followed by a hard fight and poor release can see it belly up.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

Here are the (4) tools I ordered yesterday —-

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

I have their wire cutters too.

Top notch craftsmanship.

In fact all of my tools are Knipex.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jurelometer

Quote from: Lunker Larry on April 23, 2022, 12:59:14 PMTheir Knipex bolt cutters are the best for cutting hooks. They have become the must have hook cutter as they easily cut the biggest hooks. They even advertise in the muskie mags now. Fishing muskie, to ensure less stress and damage to the fish, we often cut hooks.Muskie may be a big fish but stress out pretty easily. A hard spring or warm temps followed by a hard fight and poor release can see it belly up.

+1 on Knipex bolt cutters.  Haven't regretted any Knipex purchase.  Saw a tip somewhere on using a vacuum food sealer to keep an emergency bolt cutter from getting saltwater corrosion.  Won't work if you need to access them regularly, but a good idea if they are stowed for only medical emergencies.

Curious about cutting hooks for release on the muskies.  Could fishing de-barbed hooks work as well? Do the lure guys fish de-barbed much?  Don't have lots of experience with pike and muskie, but all my (fly) fishing was de-barbed, and it was pretty easy to not lose fish, and removing the hook was fast and easy, even with a deep hookset.

-J 

Cor

Quote from: Lunker Larry on April 23, 2022, 12:59:14 PMTheir Knipex bolt cutters are the best for cutting hooks. They have become the must have hook cutter as they easily cut the biggest hooks. They even advertise in the muskie mags now. Fishing muskie, to ensure less stress and damage to the fish, we often cut hooks.Muskie may be a big fish but stress out pretty easily. A hard spring or warm temps followed by a hard fight and poor release can see it belly up.

Even here I have one for emergency use in my "boat" bag.   I did try to cut a large hook once (perhaps 4 mm) as a test and it simply snipped it of.
I regard it as an important safety tool.
Cornelis

Lunker Larry

Quote from: jurelometer on April 23, 2022, 05:03:34 PM

Curious about cutting hooks for release on the muskies.  Could fishing de-barbed hooks work as well? Do the lure guys fish de-barbed much?  Don't have lots of experience with pike and muskie, but all my (fly) fishing was de-barbed, and it was pretty easy to not lose fish, and removing the hook was fast and easy, even with a deep hookset.

-J 

Don't want to take Fred's post off track.
Pinching down the barb gets discussed regularly. A fair number of guys gave it a good effort try a few years back but lost fish. Muskies are not a numbers game hence being known as the fish of 10,000 casts.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

foakes

Got these in the mail today —-

For those of you who know tools —-

The forging, finishing, grip, comfort in handling, balance, lack of slop, attention to the smallest detail, and no flex —- sets these guys apart.

Showed Sue that I had most of what I needed to go into the Dental Practice.  Her response was not encouraging...

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.