I bought Googan's 110N

Started by PacRat, April 09, 2022, 12:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PacRat

Before I sink any money into a reel I like to make certain it a viable candidate. With this 110N I have isolated different components to make certain there's no un-seen damage that would relegate it to the bone-yard. I put the winding cup back on with all the bail-trip mechanism removed and it feel pretty darned good for not being cleaned yet. Here's a photo of the gear box.

Thank you Joe and Fred for the photos and specs for the hula-hoop. Here's the crude one I made from the schematic yesterday. My wire was double the diameter it should have been and the geometry was off on the triangle. This first attempt was way to heavy to function. The bail wire is off a little too and will require some minor tweaking. At least now I know the housing is all straight and that all the other parts are there.

PacRat

Well I bent a better hula-hoop with 0.022 music wire, The geometry and fit seemed spot on but not enough memory in the wire. It wasn't stainless anyway. I tweaked the bail and the bail spring. The bail is nice and snappy now. I reassembled the real sans the hula-hoop and she runs smother than a lot of my other reels (without doing any cleaning yet). I took the spool apart to be certain I didn't need any other parts and the entire drag stack was missing. I'm glad I checked before placing an order.

foakes

That is a good job on that switch spring, Mike —-

However the pressure tolerances are critical on these springs —- basically, they need enough spring to last another 40 years.

You and I may not have the reel that long —- but if approached from the idea that someone else will have it after you and I —- your good work will be silently appreciated, if not actually known.  And that is enough.

Working on reels today —- went out to the outer shop to get a few parts —- and ran across these.

Interestingly enough —- this is a very clever and durable system for tripping the bail —- plus the 3-position setting adjustment for the bail trip pressure is unique.

I think out of maybe 1000 "N's" I have worked on —- I might have only replaced this spring a half dozen times.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

I've been away for work and while I was out I received a package from Fred with the trip spring and some drag washers for the 110N (not to mention a whole lot of other goodies).

The new trip spring is in and it works flawlessly 99% of the time. I'm thinking the little plastic bumper on the slide needs replacing (maybe it has shrunk over the years?).

Now I'm noticing that I'm still shy on some drag components. I also purchased another 110N so I'll post photos of both for comparison. I think neither one was 100% correct.

Here are both with the original on top (with the washers from Fred) and the new one at the bottom is exactly as received.

Here's the schematic. I have a little confusion if the 110N requires only 3 washers in front or if you just substitute those 3 for the ones required for the rest of the series.

Here's the way I stacked it in my best interpretation of the schematic. Please let me know if I need to remove or swap any of them. Once I get it sorted out correctly, I'll order up enough washers to complete the other spool.

Have any of you substituted carbons for the asbestos? The asbestos are very thick and I believe I would need additional shim washers. Also, are the asbestos washers glued to the spool? Mine came out easy enough but they seem to have glue residue on the back side.

-Mike

foakes

Here is the proper setup, Mike —-

As the schematic shows —- the 110N is different from the other (6) in the "N" series.

Brake spindle
Ratchet wheel
(2) brass round washers
Bridge plate
Under spool asbestos washer
Spool
Over spool asbestos washer
Keyed metal washer
Spring ring washer
Brake nut

As for CF's —-

This is a lightweight Microlight reel that will generally fish 4 to 6 pound test.

The hexagon asbestos washers are very tough and long-lasting.

With one on top and one under the spool —- you end up with a "squeeze" drag affair that is very effective and balanced to adjust the spool drag tension.

With the other components in place that are all working together —- there is really no need for CF's, IMO.

It just complicates an already solidly engineered system —- and other measure will need to be adjusted for smoothness and line lay. 

Try it properly set to stock —- and I think you will see the benefit.

Do not grease the asbestos washers —- use them dry.

If anything else is needed —- just let me know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

foakes

Oh Yeah, also Mike —-

You do not need to glue in the under spool hex asbestos washer.

It will stay in place with no issues.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

PacRat

Thanks Fred. The first one (Googan's with the goofy spring) is fully functional now. I also replaced the little band on the trip slide with a short piece of aquarium tube. The bail is now functioning at 100%. When I get some time I'll give both of these 110Ns a complete flush 'n' lube. These are great little reels. I wish I had them when I had more time for fishing. Looking forward to using them.