DQ 110

Started by Bill B, April 23, 2022, 11:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

So I have been looking for a small DQ for the trout up here in Lake Gregory and  and Lake Arrowhead and found this little 110.  It fits in great with the 270, 270LC, and 285.  Tore into it found the usual hardened grease.  No surprises here.  As I was putting it back together I discovered the bail release screw is stripped out of the rotor.  Closer examination shows the previous owner attempted to solder the screw in place but that didn't work.  Figuring I have nothing to lose, I put a little JB Weld in the stripped screw hole but that didn't work either.  The reels works for now but I'm looking for another way of securing the screw.  I hate to toss the rotor as the rest of it is fine.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

There is not a good fix for that, Bill —-

Yes, there are some possible ways to remedy this, however, I wouldn't let the reel leave the bench until it was 100%.

I know you are the same way.

Sort of like trying to hot glue a firing pin in place of a pivot.

Might work 9 times out of 10 —-

That is not good enough —- needs to work 10,000 times out of 10,000.  Plus, you will never have the confidence in the reel.

Here is a new rotor, trip lever, trip spring, trip lever screw, angle lever, bail spring, bail lock washer & bail acorn nut.

I will put them in the mail Monday.

N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

Guys like Fred make this 100% more enjoyable.

Bill B

Yes you are correct, it would be a half hearted repair.  Much appreciated brother Fred.  I will PM you with my information.  Bil

foakes

Hi Bill —-

Your DQ 110 parts were sent out yesterday down the hill at our Post Office.

Along with 11 other parcels for members.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Much appreciated brother!  Bill

Brewcrafter

Bill - Looking forward to seeing that 110 when you get it back together and "battle ready"! - john

Bill B

Fred to the rescue Again!  The rotor and miscellaneous parts arrived and 20 minutes later the 110 is running smooth.  The bail took a little tweaking to operate as smooth as it should, but nothing a 36 ounce ball peen hammer couldn't cure 🤣🤣. And he graciously included the oscillation arm to change the 285 from left hand to right hand.  Picked out the rods they will reside on making sure they balanced well.  Had to add 1 ounce to the butt of one rod.  Weather is getting nice so I'm gonna bug my buddy until he takes me to Lake Arrowhead (it's a private lake and lake rights are needed to fish it) for some of the big rainbow and lightning trout. 

Brewcrafter

That's a good looking setup Bill!!!!   Hopefully you can get on Arrowhead and give that new reel a workout! - john