Mystery ABU Ambassadeur 5000 "Red" 3 Side Plate Screws

Started by tipupsteve, February 03, 2012, 05:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tipupsteve

I recently obtained a new abu ambassadeur 5000 reel from my father (he's 85).  He obtained it in the early 70's ? and never used it, said he was unable to adjust it.  I got it adjusted in a couple of minutes and works great!  The red reel looks brand new, no boat rash, and I have the original leather case/box, original lube and small tube of spare drag parts, screws and washers/spacers and the wrench.  The 3 thumbscrews are mushroom shaped and the side plates are rippled.  The reelstand foot is smooth on both sides and the s/n#844472.  Can anyone tell me the mftg date, the gear ratio (very low) and approximate value?  I also want to know is should I continue to fish with this or purchase a new C3/C4 for muskie fishing?  With the gear ratio it is tiring to crank baits properly when muskie fishing.  Please let me know at anyones earliest conveniece.  Also if anyone is interested in purchasing this reel I would entertain that idea.

mmac

do not use this reel it is a good collectors item i have a book on ambassadeur reel serial #S will find it over the weekend and tell year of mfg and approx value i would be interested in buying this reel  i have probably approx 30 different reels if you will send your telephone # i will call you and we can talk about the reel  mclelland2177@yahoo.com or call at 334 315 7453   thanks max mclelland

Bryan Young

mmac,  Welcome.  Wow, takes a good reel to bring people in out of the woodworks.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Backwater Outfitters

My reply is directed to MMAC. I saw that you mentioned something about having a catalog or book of ambassadeur serial numbers. How could an individual like myself obtain one? Is there a site online or a place that one can be purchased?

max kravig

Simon Shimomura's book "The Ambassadeur and I & The Final Chapter" is a good source for pre-1980 serial numbers. Got my copy off E-Bay.