Vintage Penn international 50 asbestos drag replacement options

Started by Wahoocrazy, May 07, 2022, 12:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoocrazy

Hello to all,

Brand new user here! I have been reading all the posts I can find about this topic on this site and am hoping My question has not already been answered! Please be gentle if it has....but I couldn't find any answers hence this post.

I recently scored a deal on a vintage, pristine/mint/unused Penn 50 that was simply too good to pass up. It's In the box with manual, tube of lube and reel bag. I'll attach some pics if I can figure out how.

I want to fish the reel, and discovered upon tearing it down (to replace the solidified 'vintage' grease that came 'pre-installed😱😊') that the original drag washer is one of the nasty carcinogenic asbestos ones.

It is unused and pristine, but I am not interested in using an asbestos drag so would like to replace it with the HT-100 (Penn part number 6A-50) or the dura-drag/plate assembly (Penn part number117DN-50)

FINALLY-here's my question (thanks for staying with me if you get this far!!!

What is the better system for Wahoo and other smaller game such as dorado and schoolie tuna according to anyone out there who have fished old 50's like mine for those fish? I'll go with the dura-drag plate assembly if I have to because they are still somewhat east to find, but they are costly for me where I live.

I am having trouble locating the #6A-50 HT-100 washers and would also love any leads or possible purchase options out there.

Wow, so sorry about the length of this post!

I live in Canada, BC, very close to Mikes Reel repair and was actually able to find a new dura-drag part but they cannot get just the HT-100 washers so If anyone out there has one I would sure love to get my hand on one as well for a back up.

Cheers for any and all help in advance.D9FA29AB-0403-40B3-8361-33DF7FFD9368.jpeg87DACC55-A6EE-4006-AAD2-EC91E7122249.jpeg 

thorhammer

WOW, nice find, almost too pretty to fish! I'd go to the duradrag and call it a day- you'll have to fish that reel a long time to have to replace it ever again with with wahoo and dodo's.

Welcome!

John

alantani

go with greased carbon fiber - either the old ht-100 or new dura drag.  either one is fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

He wants one of these. The one on the bottom. Or is it the free-floating donut version?
I can check my stash in the next couple of days. I live overseas though, so it might take some time to get.

Can the OP please post a picture of his drag? Curious.

D70ED1C3-C298-4655-8148-2829BF017B6A.png

PacRat

I think he will need a new/different shaft to go with the new drag. I'm not 100% sure as I do not own a 50 but I think I needed a different shaft when I did my 30 many years ago. Maybe someone will chime in who knows for certain?

handi2

I have both kinds too!

I'm almost sure it has the old floating asbestos washers. The new Dura Drag won't fit

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL