Wrapping my first rod.

Started by Wolfram M, May 19, 2022, 03:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

As far as rod repair, you can look on the web and find all sorts of potential solutions.  You want one that has the best chance of restoring the action of the rod to what it should have been if not broken.  That being said, your expectations should be modest.

The theory that makes the most sense to me is that stated by Roger O'Quinn in his many online posts.  Look for his "Repairing Broken Rods" article, which I believe was originally posted on Rodbuilding.org, and has been reposted and quoted many times since.  I believe Mr. O'Quinn is now deceased, but he remains a legendary guru in the rather specialized topic of rod repair.  The above article provides repair advice for various types of breaks that one may see.

I don't necessarily advocate following the O'Quinn article advice to the letter (although I think you could.)  But, look at his reasoning, modify it to your own liking and go from there.

I used his techniques a few years back on a no-name green 6 ft 10 in. one-piece rod I found in a trash can. A no-namer wouldn't normally receive a lot of attention (which is maybe why it was in a trash can), but this one had nice gold-colored guides that looked like quality, along with better-than-average wraps and a nice cork handle that led me to think it might be a decent stick. That repair has held up nicely and the rod had hauled in many a fish.  I think that one (I don't have the rod right in front of me) had a break between guides, rather than right at one, but the repair is not that noticeable, unless you are looking for it.  I also used the same technique on an old black Shimano FX-2652 two-piece, and that one had the break right at a guide, I think the first one down from the tip.  The guide was re-installed right on top of the break, and the repair is barely noticeable.  That rod just landed a 10 lb. bigmouth buffalo last week, and if you know buffalo, you know that rod got a workout.

Frank