Something odd with the 4 stack

Started by nelz, May 08, 2022, 05:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I was working on the drag of an older (P338) model with a 4 stack and noticed something odd. The main gear does not fit flush to the sleeve. The only thing that keeps it in proper alignment is the drag stack.

This is not due to wear, the main gear's inside diameter is actually wider than the sleeve. If the disks are removed, the gear sits very loosely on the sleeve.

Is this by design or is it possible this reel has the wrong gear in it?

Anybody here have one of these gears to measure the inside diameter for me? It's the stainless steel with recess underneath for a 4th drag disk, from a P338F. Thanks!

PacRat

Could it be one of the Penn 500 gears with the pressed in bushing and the bushing has either fallen out or been removed?

nelz

Quote from: PacRat on May 08, 2022, 08:06:00 PMCould it be one of the Penn 500 gears with the pressed in bushing and the bushing has either fallen out or been removed?

Sounds feasable, but I've never seen a shiny stainless gear with such a bushing, only the brass ones. Have you? Also, remember this is a Newell gear with recess underneath.

nelz

Have a look:

Swami805

I just checked a couple of 4 stack gears and they're fairly tight to the sleeve, that one you have is odd. Maybe the machinist goofed on a run or something? It still works right?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

Quote from: Swami805 on May 09, 2022, 12:39:09 AMI just checked a couple of 4 stack gears and they're fairly tight to the sleeve, that one you have is odd. Maybe the machinist goofed on a run or something? It still works right?

From which models are the gears you looked at?

Yes, it still works. The gear is held in alignment by way of the extra under-gear metal washer, which fits into the recess, and also by the metal drag disks inside the gear, but this still allows a small amount of play.

I was starting to think it was by design but now you have me doubting that, and this would be a very poor design if it is indeed intentional. My experience with Newells is very limited, I hope they're better than that.

Maxed Out

Looks like the gear is made to fit a 113h gear sleeve
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Wompus Cat

What Maxed said OR Bushing is Missing .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

nelz

Quote from: Maxed Out on May 09, 2022, 02:01:20 AMLooks like the gear is made to fit a 113h gear sleeve

I was thinking that too. What Newell model is equivalent to the 113H?

PacRat

Here's a photo of two different 4-stack gears. I can't comment as to which series they came from but they both have different teeth. They both have the relief in the back. The one with the bushing looks mote like a Newell. I believe it has 49 teeth.

Did you find a loose bushing inside the reel?

PacRat

The gear with the bushing is on the right. Both I.D.s are very close. I believe the one without the bushing is a couple thousandths tighter. The gear on the left has a larger O.D.

nelz

Quote from: PacRat on May 09, 2022, 02:40:51 AMDid you find a loose bushing inside the reel?

Thanks Pac, nope, no loose parts found.

Newell Nut

The ones with the bushing in the center of the gear have to be from the first generation. I have not seen many of those but I think one of my first gen Ps is like that.
Dwight

nelz

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 09, 2022, 11:14:11 AMThe ones with the bushing in the center of the gear have to be from the first generation. I have not seen many of those but I think one of my first gen Ps is like that.

That could be the case here. The bushing might have come loose at some point and a previous owner lost or just discarded it and reassebled without it. Like I said, the reel still works this way, but the drag surges and feels "geary".

I thought the drag just needed carbon fiber, but when I went to change it I ran into this issue.