Grinding a 20/30/50 visx cam

Started by alantani, May 15, 2022, 04:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I'll chime in with more of a question than anything.  The difference between the linear cut and the helical cut seems to be the surface area of contact between the cam and follower.  So with the helical cut you have more contact which would result in more friction but with the linear cut you have less contact with less friction which but would result in more wear on the cam ending up with a helical cut by all the wear.  In the end would any of it really matter?  Ok I'll stop talking now 😆
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pitchinwedge

Some parts came today.  Tried various things with no success.

Quote from: alantani on June 04, 2022, 03:00:39 AMFor the 16 visx,  add another belleville to make the stack "(()".

Added a third belleville "(()".  Two towards the sideplate and one towards the drag assembly.  Stack became too thick.  Can't screw on the knob without engaging some drag.  Zero freespool after reassembly. 

Quote from: alantani on June 04, 2022, 03:00:39 AMFor the 30 visx 30, you will likely have thinner bellevilles.  Switch the thicker bellevilles from the visx 20/50 and see.

You are correct that the bellevilles I have are thinner (0.031"). Don't yet have the ones for the 50 VISX. It was a total waste of time, but I tried various combinations of 2 bellevilles + shims, 3 bellevilles, and even 4 bellevilles.  Really hope the 50 VISX bellevilles will do the trick.  Expect them to arrive within the week.

pitchinwedge

Think I finally got the 16VISX worked out.  Installed two heavy bellevilles (key #18HH), one light belleville from a TRQ25NLD2 (key #18L), and a 0.008" spool shim (key #154BB).  (|)

Then, added a two 0.012" spool shims (key #154B) right before the drive plate bearing (key #26).  Also, in an abundance of paranoia, I stripped all the grease from the drag washers and drag plate.

Cranked down the preset until freespool starts to get hindered.   Straight pulls on the spring scale produced:

Full - 40lbs
#4 - 35lbs
#3 - 30lbs
#2 - 20lbs
#1 - 10lbs

Super happy with the results but the drags are dry.  Going to regrease the drags with some fresh Cal's tomorrow.  Hopefully the drag output doesn't change.  Next up are the 30VISX and a bunch of TRQxxLD2s.

Thanks again Alan for sharing these golden nuggets of knowledge.  No way I would have figured it out without your help.

Bill B

Good job staying after it! Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

yeah, make sure that the drags are greased.  i doubt that it will change the drag range at all.  great work!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pitchinwedge

Argh... I finished greasing up the drag and was dialing in the preset level with the spring scale.  Think I only got to around 30lbs at Full when I started hearing some intermittent grinding noise as line was being peeled off the spool pulled under load.

Took the reel apart again to inspect the pinion gear and bearing.  There is the tiniest amount play. Seems the bearing is munched and allowing some movement between the inner and outer rings.  Will inspect further when I get more time. 

I guess one brief episode of 40lbs at Full was too much for the pinion bearing to deal with?  Shaking my head disgust.  >:(

alantani

i found this same problem in a visx 12.  i went after the frame with a dremal.  problem solved.....  :-\

pitchinwedge

Took another look at the pinion bearing.  It's totally fine, just as it was a couple of days ago. 

So, extracted the spool assembly along with the spindle and pinion.  Held the spool tight and with the pinion in place I hooked my index finger over the  the threaded end of the spindle and pulled.  There is definitely some movement.  Can see the pinion rocking back and forth a little when I apply pressure.  Not sure if the spindle is actually bending, but it sure seems like it.  Whoa. 

Do you remember how much material you had to remove from the 12VISX with the Dremel? If I do it, I'm thinking I'll need to gouge out a pretty good amount. Grind away perhaps a few mm's?

alantani

i just hacked away until the grinding stopped.   :-\

pitchinwedge

Thanks for the reply Alan.  Just back from a trip catching nothing over 70lbs.  The only heavy reel to see any action was the 16VISX, but only for 30 seconds or so until the fish came unbuttoned.  Only pushed up the lever to 20lbs of drag so there weren't any issues.  For now I've nothing else on the calendar so there should be plenty of time to keep troubleshooting these reels.

pitchinwedge

Happy New Year folks! Was doing the year-end cleanout, which reminded me to throw up an update for this thread.

A couple months back, the folks at Penn were nice enough to try to fix my 12VISX and 16VISX under warranty.  They sent the reels back to me from Philly with replaced frames and spools.  Nothing else was done or replaced, which I found odd.

The gold anodized finish of the replacement parts on the 12VISX matched somewhat, but the 16VISX looked like Frankenstein and performed even worse at just 20# of drag before grinding.  Clearly, the service techs are color blind and don't actually drag test any of these reels before sending them back.  Thankfully, Penn decided to send me brand new 16VISX. 

I listened carefully for spool grinding when setting drags to avoid damaging the frame/spools again and then backed-off until there was no hint of grinding.  So now, the repaired 12VISX tops out 33# and the brand new 16VISX tops out at 38#.  I believe should be the truth-in-advertising numbers. Hopefully others find this information helpful.