Problem with 250 Surfmaster 3-99 bridge and gear sleeve

Started by MACflyer, May 15, 2022, 03:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACflyer

The galling makes the most sense to me, although a 1/4" piece of heavy mono fell from somewhere when I reassembled the reel yesterday. I can't remember if I originally greased the bridge post, I probably didn't, but there's grease in there now. I appreciate all the help. This is a great site. I plan on a couple more trips soon, so I'll post the results.

Bill B

You might try assembling the sleeve to the bridge and heat it gently with a torch to see if expansion is you issue.  But that piece of mono that fell out maybe be your problem.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Surfrat

MACflyer, maybe you can post a few pictures of your gear sleeve with the bridge? I know the hot-rod engineers and master Lego builders here can give you a few assessments. 8)  :P
I am building a similar 250 project and will learn from these posts.  ;D

PacRat

+1 on the galling. Certain stainless steel alloys are notorious for this. In the early days of stainless semi auto firearms there were galling issues between the slide and frame. The industry responded by altering the alloys.

In the case of the potential for galling between the post and sleeve there are three things you can do. Fit, finish, and lube. You'e addressed these issues and are likely good-to-go. If this re-occurs repeat the steps. Make certain any galled (rough) surfaces have been reduced to the original dimensions. Polish the surfaces. I know you used 1000 grit sandpaper but take it a step further and polish the surfaces with something like Flitz metal polish inside and out. Then lube with the grease of your choice. You could also use anti-seize but it's very messy.

-Mike

MACflyer

Fished it again last week and it worked great. Caught several small snapper, a couple of 20"+ groupers, and a small AJ (released). No issues at all.