Bench reels

Started by quabbin boy 62, May 19, 2022, 08:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quabbin boy 62

What's a good option for a bench reel? I fish with leadcore, copper,and mono, thinking about a reel to spool leadcore or copper onto so can change backing. Just lookin for a little advice. Thanks, guys

alantani

is this to just transfer line back and forth?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I have a older Penn 114H I use for some,  a Avet 30W for others.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Either the 114H or the 113H depending on the size of reel you are pulling from.  With an aluminum spool which has a bigger arbor you will have a head start on arbor thickness than if you used a 3 piece spool.  Plus a higher gear ratio.  If your primary reel is about the same size as a jigmaster a plastic spool has an even bigger spool arbor and a high gear ratio.  Whatever you use greased carbon fiber drags will make respooling your primary reel much easier.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Bill B on May 20, 2022, 12:34:59 AMEither the 114H or the 113H depending on the size of reel you are pulling from.  With an aluminum spool which has a bigger arbor you will have a head start on arbor thickness than if you used a 3 piece spool.  Plus a higher gear ratio.  If your primary reel is about the same size as a jigmaster a plastic spool has an even bigger spool arbor and a high gear ratio.  Whatever you use greased carbon fiber drags will make respooling your primary reel much easier.  Bill
:d  :d  Spot on
Quote from: quabbin boy 62 on May 19, 2022, 08:19:50 PMWhat's a good option for a bench reel? I fish with leadcore, copper,and mono, thinking about a reel to spool leadcore or copper onto so can change backing. Just lookin for a little advice. Thanks, guys
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

My transfer/bench reel is a Long Beach 68. Plenty of room on that spool
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Porthos

What are the capacities of the in-service reels in question?

quabbin boy 62

i'd use a bench reel to transfer line, i use 4 penn 49L's to troll copper wire for lake trout.  (100'- 300 '). I was looking at 112-114's on ebay, or maybe a jigmaster.

quabbin boy 62

just bought a 113 (4/0) from ebay, looks pretty clean, plenty of room for what i'll use it for. originally, i wasn't sure about a senator, but now i think it'll be easier to work with than a smaller reel. Thanks, gentlemen, tight lines to all!

Donnyboat

I think you would have best brought a Penn senator 9/0 with carbon fibre drag, it would hold much more line than you would need for this job, but now your in the rabbit hole, you reels will only get larger, welcome to the forum from Sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Keta

What I feel is required for a transfer reel is at least 2x the line capacity of the reels being spooled, a large drag stack capable of over 10# for small reels and up to 20# for mid size reels and prefer wide reel to keep drag more uniform as line goes out.  I have mine spoiled 1/2 way with daccron to increase spool diameter.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

quabbin boy 62

well, all i take off to change backer(onto a reel) is between 35 yards and 100 yards of .036 wire, it should hold it ok. the 113 holds more line by about 100 yards or so, my 49's hold about 325 yards of 30 lb mono. my lead core stuff is less bulky, the mono only comes off when it's time to toss it. thanks again     :)   

philaroman

Quote from: quabbin boy 62 on May 21, 2022, 07:58:51 PMwell, all i take off to change backer(onto a reel) is between 35 yards and 100 yards of .036 wire, it should hold it ok. the 113 holds more line by about 100 yards or so, my 49's hold about 325 yards of 30 lb mono. my lead core stuff is less bulky, the mono only comes off when it's time to toss it. thanks again    :)   

so, you don't need much capacity or drag, but do want large diameter -- correct?

take a look at some century-old Indiana/"spoke"/side-mount reels:
http://www.sidemountreels.com/indianastylereels.html

Fred was selling a Goite recently:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34917.45

Gfish

Cool!
Those Indiana side-casting/line-drying reels. MidWestern/yankee ingenuity at it's best. So many were not marked like they were a side project from someone's shop or garage. Gonna have to check that out. I have a nice Alvey that Donnyboat sent me from Oz that would work, but I might need more air flow for the bottom line coils... 
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

got the biggest/oldest/simplest (I think?  300m?) pivoting Ueno Seiko Olympic (somewhere?)
reel was cheap, but S/H stupid  ::)  ...came loaded w/ heavy copper braid that sat years & not perma-coiled  :D
that's what made me think: Indiana for shorter wire, or anything w/ coil memory
this may be it, or mine might be bigger and/or more airy...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224293264256?hash=item3438eb9b80:g:TLMAAOSwzcdf5jpt

basically, 1:1 made of steel&holes  :D  that pivots & casts like Alvey
not using mine...  will find & trade for something cool (pref), or sell cheap