Bench reels

Started by quabbin boy 62, May 19, 2022, 08:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catching Nemo

Quote from: philaroman on May 23, 2022, 05:16:21 PMgot the biggest/oldest/simplest (I think?  300m?) pivoting Ueno Seiko Olympic (somewhere?)
reel was cheap, but S/H stupid  ::)  ...came loaded w/ heavy copper braid that sat years & not perma-coiled  :D
that's what made me think: Indiana for shorter wire, or anything w/ coil memory
this may be it, or mine might be bigger and/or more airy...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224293264256?hash=item3438eb9b80:g:TLMAAOSwzcdf5jpt

basically, 1:1 made of steel&holes  :D  that pivots & casts like Alvey
not using mine...  will find & trade for something cool (pref), or sell cheap
hi philaroman

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but how the heck do you pivot the spool on this reel?  I bought two of this exact reel from EBay during the last year, and I can't pivot either of them. Is there a way to grip it or press something to get the spool to pivot? Right now, I don't think even the Incredible Hulk can pivot the spool without breaking the reel...

philaroman

Quote from: Catching Nemo on May 26, 2022, 04:02:10 AMNot meaning to hijack the thread, but how the heck do you pivot the spool on this reel?  I bought two of this exact reel from EBay during the last year, and I can't pivot either of them. Is there a way to grip it or press something to get the spool to pivot? Right now, I don't think even the Incredible Hulk can pivot the spool without breaking the reel...

the big one is in pretty good shape & my 100m is unused
both pivot...  as I recall, reluctantly at first, after sitting long time, but then quite readily
even without oil or added leverage of being mounted on a rod
just grab the whole thing at point farthest from seat/rod & turn perpendicular to seat/rod

they're mostly stainless, EXCEPT for the pivoting mechanism (I think)
wouldn't take much to corrode shut in one position, then easily shined up to look presentable for sale
keep at it w/ thin penetrating oils & mild heat -- I would think that if corrosion was really bad ("crumbly"),
it would be easier to pivot by force, once & only once...  then it wouldn't hold position

when you do get it going, keep skin flap between thumb & index, AWAY FROM PIVOTING MECHANISM!!!

Gfish

Phil., I have 2 Penn Monofil's, a 25 & 27, and a very nice Surfmaster 100; all for trade. If interested, and/or need pictures, lemme know.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!