Fort Bragg Longfin & a Mix of Others

Started by Crab Pot, September 17, 2022, 12:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Good job!  Albie's are on my bucket list. After a wahoo  :fish   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crab Pot

Wahoo & White Sea Bass are on my bucket list.

Opha too but I have no idea how to fish them.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Jim Fujitani

For a sportfisher, Opah are just the pure luck of the draw.  Even if you hear of 5-10 caught on a SD/LR trip, it is just because the boat came across them.  I lucked into a small one, 72# jackpot, on a 4-day on the Royal Star on my birthday in '09.  I hooked up when soaking a sardine on 40#, deep under a paddy.  It is the only one boated by a member of our annual group charter on our annual trip that I know of.  (I have heard of crewmen boating one or two, fishing at night, on trips that I have not been on.)
I had a nice couple hours on that '09 BD afternoon.  I took a break after the Opah.  The captain wanted to move to another paddy or meter mark.  I ended up boating that Opah, a small 20# Albie, and a 40# BFT (would have won second JP but we agreed one JP per fisher), on three successive baits on the same 40# rig, with only a retied hook and new bait. 

Wahoo and WSB are two of the three species my wife enjoys at the table.  Wahoo will probably not be scratched off my bucket list since long trips are no longer something I can do (just because of home and pet responsibilities).  I've boated numerous WSB soaking sardines at night back when we could fish at Isla Cedros. 

Crab Pot

Jim,

Sounds like the WSB that get caught bouncing Halibut balls in SF Bay.

Fishing for Halibut but get a Ghost Fish.

I guess I'm due, been doing this since I was a teenager and I'm 57 now...

Hey, we're neighbors!

Crab Pot

My buddy Gregg was at Noyo again over the weekend.

He and his wife were targeting Rock Fish but the water was warm so he said what the hell and threw out the Albacore jigs.

Wasn't long till he had a could fatty's onboard. One tipped the scale at33# and the other 44#.

He let his wife reel both in and it kicked her butt, she said lets go back to Rock Fishing!