4 piece Rod Geeks surf rod

Started by ReelFishingProblems, April 23, 2022, 06:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

How about this? Simple but still shows the tiger stripe underneath.

thorhammer

ReelFishingProblems

Okay,
Update, still going with double foot guides for a more utilitarian design. Since it's a gift and I don't know if this will get banged up on the rocks or not, I figured it would be sturdier.
This isn't going to win any distance contests, but I did move the stripper guide much further up the blank than I'm used to. I did a few test casts and it casts good.
I started to wrap the guides, here is the stripper guide

ReelFishingProblems

Just finished the rod (ran out of yellow thread and it takes a while for it to get where I'm at) epoxy will go on this weekend and I will hopefully be able to surprise who this is going to by early next week.

Cor

Quote from: BreadfanThe NGC is a good way to get me started on the rod at hand, making changes along the way, test casting until it was right where I wanted it.

For some of us who only make a few rods occasionally this is the only and best way.

I usually start off by taping everything together, go test cast, load the rod to see the bend, adjust guides, reel seat even lengthen or shorten the blank somewhat then go fish with it and sometimes over time still make changes.

Its time consuming but fun and rewarding when you get it right.

Photo of the last Rod I built, started all taped up, ended looking reasonable but I am still not happy with it.
Cornelis

Cor

Note the High guide nearest the butt, this is because of the bend in the but section.
Also something I have never seen elsewhere, note the hole in the pistol grip ;D  is a hook keeper for the lure.
Cornelis

thorhammer

Nick- I missed this, in my covid fog I guess. Looks great!!