113(Black)YTS or Grouper Special?

Started by George4741, September 16, 2012, 07:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

You're welcome, Bill. They should easily handle 15 lb of drag when you are done - not that you may need it. Keep us posted on your progress, and photos, too.

When I first became a member of this forum I had the impression that few people used the smaller black Senators. Judging from the interest on this and other threads, I'm pleasantly surprised to find I may have been wrong.

Quote from: jig-guy on October 08, 2013, 05:57:11 AM
I am old school and fish old school reels because I like them, caught lots of fish in my life with these great reels.
TL Bill

Yup, old school is cool! It will be a while before I get back out on the salt chuck, but when I do, my 113 will be my primary reel.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on October 08, 2013, 03:43:16 PM

When I first became a member of this forum I had the impression that few people used the smaller black Senators. Judging from the interest on this and other threads, I'm pleasantly surprised to find I may have been wrong.

George
Sometimes, some have good reasons to keep quiet ;), now thanks to you, $25 won't get you one of those anymore :-\ ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

You're absolutely right Sal. I had a 113 in my collection but never thought to use it for fishing. After reading George's post regarding his narrow 113 I thought that was a great idea for a fishing reel and now I have three of them set up for fishing. Thanks George for the great idea. John

Decker

Old thread but good one!  I'm working on a copy cat of the Grouper Special.  I have the SS spool, Newell base and bars, and 66 gears.  Just need to snipe the Senator, and save up for the sleeve and drags.  ;D

I'd like to know what kind of work has been done with this reel, fishing work, that is  ;).  

mo65

Just bumping this thread to the top to make it easier to find. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Whit

The low gear ratio on the old black 113 was a superb advantage in a hot SoCal bite back in the day before the newer 2 speeds came along. You could really pull on fish with them.  Fishing straight mono in the 25-40 lb range,, you could deck schoolie YT, yellowfin and albacore  as they are eating paint off the boat and have a fresh bait in the water while the others were still pumping and grinding.   I still have a couple, but haven't taken them out in a while.   Hmmmmmm...... :)