Change gear change?

Started by UKChris1, June 29, 2022, 04:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris1

I've tried a search but haven't found the answer to my problem/puzzle.

I have a 7000C and a 9000C, both auto gear change, that I'm happy with but my mate has an 8000C with the automatic gear change facility. He wants to use it for light line and therefore use quite light drag settings.

He is unhappy that it changes down to low gear too soon when using light drag settings and wants to know whether it can be twiddled to keep it in high gear, not permanently but not to change down until the tension on the line reaches a higher percentage of the drag setting.

I understand the changeover point rises when the star drag is tightened but using higher drag settings won't work with the light line he's proposing to use.

I will be the one to try to make the modification (if there is one) as he's not too mechanically minded, especially with the relative complexity of an Abu :)

Does anyone have an answer? Thanks...

Chris

PacRat

If he wants to use light line and he's not mechanically inclined; he's likely better off with a different reel. One can never have too many reels. Unless he uses the two speed for different presentations, in which case he would just need to deal with the annoying gear change. I haven't serviced one of these (yet) but it's likely not a good candidate to learn on.
Good luck with it.

Robert Janssen

Well... (chinscratch)
Maybe change to smaller drag washers on the hi-speed gear, while leaving the lo-speed ones alone,
Or,
Use bigger drag washers on the lo-speed gear while leaving the hi-speed ones alone.

UKChris1

Thank you both. He has quite a few reels, but you know what it's like when you make your mind up that you want to use one in particular  ;)

I have dismantled several two-speed Abu reels but that was a while ago (I got my 9000C for a song in a charity shop but it did need a complete strip down and clean before it could be used, after which it has proven flawless) and I don't remember whether there were separate drag washers for the two gears. Maybe I'll get his reel off him and simply take it apart and see whether I can figure out a fettle.

If I find a solution, I'll let you all know (but don't hold your breath  :( )