Frozen shafts to pinion gear. Suggestions on moving them

Started by Fishgolfman, October 01, 2023, 10:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

The top picture is an orvis 150 pinion gear with a frozen shaft. Heating has not been successful in moving it. The bottom is a ted williams 310. Same problem.The shaft spins but doesn't oscillate as shaft is stuck. Suggestions to soak?? I have tried liquid wrench and alternate heating..suggestions

Reeltyme

For me, I use a cigar tube (metal or glass or plastic) and let it soak in the tube using PB Blaster. It has worked for me several times. It sometimes takes a couple days but patience has paid off in my case. If you feel the need to use a vise and a hammer to help persuade it a little, I use a hard wood dowel to prevent hitting the shaft with the actual hammer with a towel in the vise. What ever way you do it, good luck!

Midway Tommy

I soak them for awhile like Randy says, then I put the pinion in a hole in a piece of hardwood or put it a vice so the bearing flange is being supported against something hard and then lightly tap the rear end of the shaft while the crosswind screw is threaded in the hole so as not to mess up the hole or threads. Once the shaft moves a little I remove the screw and tap the shaft on through the pinion tube using a correct size flat ended punch or cut off a correct size nail and use that. Once the shaft is out I burnish the heck out of both the shaft & tube so that the shaft moves freely.

You can also hold the pinion, install the crosswind screw and try to turn the shaft inside the pinion to loosen it up that way, but it looks like someone already tried that. The shaft in the first picture is pretty marred and beat up and is going to take a lot of filing and TLC to get it true and working correctly again.  :o   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Cuttyhunker

A different set of components but a similar problem for me solved today, a frozen ferrule on a salt water spinner.  Been playing with it for months, a little blaster for a week every day in a vertical rod rack. Yank pull twist. Nope. 2 guys yank pull twist. Nope.  Simple machines and a fixed point occurs to me.
The cellar has a few stout steel posts bedded into the cement floor. 
First attempt clove hitch on the fiberglass below the ferrule with paracord then a few more wraps but tuck the line under itself so each wrap becomes an additional hitch, same on the other side of the ferrule.  These multiple clove hitches bind to and don't slide on the glass under load. One end to low stretch PE rope tied to the post The paracord on the other side as tightly as possible to the closed vise jaw. Unfortunatly the post is 20 feet away and the screw as I open the vise pulling on the ferrule just isn't long enough to pull things apart as the fibers in the cordage stretch.
Second try. 2 posts 12 feet apart, tie the paracord directly to one post. Attach a small block and tackle (1/4 braid) to the second post fastened to the paracord on the other side of the ferrule.  Tie a loop on the working end of the tackle large enough to pull up like a pair of jockey shorts so I can lean into with by butt thereby powering the entire operation.  Straight pull is a failure but the butt bounce maneuver yeilds movement, unfortunately it is the glass pulling a thirty second inch out of the ferrule.  Intermission.  Return with a torch to tickle the ferrule then the third butt bounce  achieves success. A note of interest, the blaster had penetrated all the way into the ferrule.
Perhaps some of my Rube Goldberg solution may be transferable to your problem if you can find an anchor point on the components.

"Give me a lever with a place to stand and I can move the earth"
Archimedes
Doomed from childhood

Midway Tommy

One of the main problems with ferrules is that when they fit extremely tight a suction is created that is near impossible to break free unless there is a slight gap for air to stabilize. Once that sweet spot is found they'll usually separate fairly easily. It's a little different situation when old grease hardens and turns to glue &/or corrosion.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

Thanks. The orvis 150 shaft was from a parts bin with broken rotor. Salvaged everything but this shaft. The 310 ted williams was also in this pile and parts bin. Trying to rescue as many parts as i can.

Cuttyhunker

Doomed from childhood

Fishgolfman

Don't understand the idea of a press? Explain or a link to something on internet. Thanks

Lunker Larry

Try putting it in the freezer. 
Found it works on screws.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Fishgolfman on October 08, 2023, 05:33:41 PMDon't understand the idea of a press? Explain or a link to something on internet. Thanks
It`s a mechanical device to push apart / or install parts .
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-59766.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

Some times you can use a drill press in a pinch !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Fishgolfman