Daiwa Minicast gold (MG-1) can't find access- Help

Started by broadway, May 24, 2020, 02:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Hey Guys,
    I purchased a couple of Daiwa travel outfits for Jack and I to play with.  Both are brand new in their respective cases (5 pieces of rod, the reel, and a compartment for terminal tackle).
I have only worked on saltine reels in the Daiwa category so I have no idea what's going on with this little reel.  How in god's name do you get access to the drag screw and drag plate?
The wheel that increases/decreases drag does nothing in regards to moving the drag pressure either way I roll it.  I can't pull the line in with any pressure at all because it seems the drag is set all the way to low as if I backed off the star all the way on a saltiga or any other star drag reel.
I appreciate any advice, as I have looked at the schematic and can't figure it out.
Thanks crew,
Dom

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Isat the little spincaster? If so, I have one on the mainland that I haven't seen or serviced in years. Screw off the top cover, remove the rotor unit that winds in the line. This is all bleary in my memory and now it's gettin more so, but remove the spool, then keep going till you see the drag mechanism cause all I recall is a teflon drag washer now... Sorry Dom. I know I'd remember if I had the reel in hand...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

There are a few versions of these, Dom --

But they all have the same drag system.

If some of our Daiwa experts can't figure it out, or provide a scan of an owners manual -- I have a few of these out in the outer storage bins in both gold and silver.  Would be glad to disassemble one for you to get the answers you seek.

Also have a few envelopes of New Old Stock Penn leather drags that I will be sending to you on Tuesday when the PO opens.

This photo reminded me of you and your son Jack.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Dominick,  I should've known it would be you, lol
Gfish, I appreciate the try, and while you are correct that I have to go further.  I can't figure how to get the thing apart other than unscrewing the top part from the bottom.  I also removed the two screws on the body of the reel, but that didn't get me where I needed to go.  Thanks for trying!
Fred,  No rush, but if you could point me in the right direction whenever you have time I would appreciate that.  Thank you for the leather washers... they always come in handy.  I don't have any reels in my collection with modern drags and wanna keep it that way.
Stay well and thanks again guys,
Dom
PS- Happy Memorial Day to all!

broadway

Not to bother anyone, but has anyone had the "pleasure" of working on one of these Daiwa minicast gold's
(MG-1's)?  I'm tired of this sitting on my work bench, and will put it in the "lost and found" draw to never be seen again if no one is able to point me in the right direction.  Quite frankly, I almost hope no one does as I'd rather work on a Penn, lol.
Thanks Crew,
Dom

philaroman

vaguely recall being similarly befuddled by a little spincaster...  Olympic Olympette, maybe? 
similar to Silver Daiwa...  older/simpler...  drag wheel on handle, like a star -- not on/in body

I think you have to push the rear button to make the pin(s) slide in (casting position), before you can continue disassembly
like, maybe there's a plastic spool w/ steel top that can only be unscrewed w/ pin(s) retracted

thorhammer

Dom! Where you been hiding! Need fish pics from the Broadway!!!