Clicking Noise with Penn International 975

Started by JGESox, February 08, 2012, 03:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGESox

Alan--
I was using my Penn International 975 (star drag) to cast for musky in the freezing weather of fall.  Ice eventually built up on the levelwind mechanism and when I casted one last time, the reel froze up and ended up stripping out the plastic (idler?) gear for the levelwind.  I ordered a new one and carefully replaced it.  Now when I cast with it, even in warm weather, it clicks something fierce while the line goes out.  Does not seem to affect the reel but it is a shame that such a nice piece of machinery now makes so much racket.  What do you think is causing this?

Captain Guy Lopez

redsetta

G'day Guy,
Level-wind mechanisms are full of minor weaknesses.
There may some nylon fragments from the idler gear still embedded in the brass gear at the end of the worm shaft.
Failing that, did you check the shaft and pawl for damage?
It can be very minor, but reverberate through the reel nonetheless.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

guy, there is a big white nylon idler gear and a small brass gear on the worm.  check the small one.  you are looking for a small sliver of nylon stuck between the teeth of the idler gear on the worm (key #42).  you may also have damage to the spool gear click ratchet (key #66).  they're $10 and i actually have an extra one.  damage to one gear almost always causes damage to the other.  

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/975.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JGESox

Thanks Gentlemen,
Will check out those potential problem areas.  Alan, will let you know if I need that clicker gear.

Thanks again!

Captain Guy Lopez

JGESox

Alan--
The clicker gear looks a little chewed up.  How much and how to pay you for your extra one?

Captain Guy Lopez

alantani

verify the part number and send that over in a pm with your address and i will mail it out.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!