More Than Enough or Too Much Drag?

Started by Classtime, July 17, 2022, 03:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Classtime

I think I got carried away and ordered a 5+1 kit from one of Bryan's retailers. It hasn't arrived yet and meanwhile, I'm rereading threads and now think I'm better off sending them right back and getting one or more regular Carbontex kits. I'm using 30 pound mono and after playing last night with 10 pounds in a bucket pulling line straight off the reel, I don't think I need more drag.

Please help me decide: should I hold off on the 5+1 until I'm ready to beef up with other stainless steel upgrades?

Swami805

Install it, it'll be smoother and you'll have a few extra lbs of drag if and when you need it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Porthos

Just install and keep; the new drag curve will be more gradual than the old 3-stack. Besides, the way things are, that kit will probably cost more in the future.

BTW, it's not the bucket that will tell you that you need more drag, it's the fish... ;D

Gfish

Agreed. 5+1 for smoothness and fine tuning. Which reel?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Classtime

Quote from: Gfish on July 17, 2022, 05:46:04 PMAgreed. 5+1 for smoothness and fine tuning. Which reel?

Gradual smooth fine tuning will be nice. Maybe my son will stop insisting that I get new reels.
The plan is to put them in my stock very good condition 501 which will one day get a black Tiburon frame. It is mounted on a 90J that was a gift from my son.

alantani

the 4:1 gears of the 501 should hold up to 9-10 pounds of drag.  the 5-stack should be smoother.  sounds like a win to me. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Yup. Think long range about a stainless steel, fine thread gear sleeve with the large 505 drag-star.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

Give it a try. If you don't like it, contact me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D