Bass Pro MAGIbraid Dacron

Started by Remote95, June 24, 2022, 12:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remote95

I have been trying to respool my shimano speedmaster IV with a braided line that has been in service and worked well. I have tried to get the same lb test but since the line was probably 10 or so years old i have found it difficult to remember. I finally think I came to believe it was Bass Pro MAGIbraid Dacron in the 50 pound test. I had to respool because I got into a shipwreck and lost too much line. I have respooled with 80 lb test Magibraid Dacron because I had respooled with a non dacron in the 50 lb range. It became bound or stuck in the spool and when it broke sounded like a 22 rifle. I vaguely remember being told that the smaller diameter lines would bind up when put under a lot of pressure. My thinking is that the drag should work before that happens but am in the dark about that aspect? Could anyone please give me an education on the present day lines like (power pro) which name keeps coming up? vs the Dacron Bass Pro in the 80 lb range. i am aware that advancements have taken place making the newer lines more desirable but the fact that they may bind up in the spool causes me great concern? Again please someone explain this problem to me and help me make some decisions. If the line in my spool had not lost such a great length then I would be respooling with it as it had help land the biggest fish I ever caught (an estimated 200 lb plus Goliath Grouper) throw in 4 Amberjack (estimated 40 lb plus each, on another trip) and a 34 inch toothy Red snapper another trip. I was really happy with what I had but moved on because of the loss of line length. I am only going to be bottom fishing with this 80 lb line with a large 16 plus oz sinker for grouper and snapper in max 200 ft depth mostly. Again this forums advice from those who have spent time sorting out the best way to bottom fish rig. I also plan on using mono in the 150 lb range to secure the hook and the sinker and swivels for live bait or large dead bait chunks. If its one thing in life I have learned at 64 years of age it is that there are other people with great deals of knowledge and they should be given the chance to explain not only their tecnique but their reasoning for that tecnique!?

Again forgive me of my computer inexperience?

Remote 95

Swami805

So there's Dacron and spectra, 2 different lines, Dacron has a larger diameter than spectra in the same class. They're similar in they're low stretch compared to mono but otherwise different animals
Not sure what you mean by binding though. I'm thinking the line digs into the coils below when there's a lot of pressure?  Normally that happens when the line wasn't spoiled on properly.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

when any line is spooled under too little tension, the line can dig into the spool, lock up and then snap.  there are several variables - the diameter of the line, the type of line (mono, braid, dacron), the height of the spool, and the drag setting are the most important.  in general, i recommend that monofilament be loaded under a tension that is 10% of the line strength.  for braid, i generally recommend that the tension be 20% of the stated line strength.  i don't really have a recommendation for dacron because we virtually never used dacron here on the west coast. 

these recommendations assume that the drag settings will be set to 30% of the line weight.  as an example, typical west coast rigging for a penn international 30 VISX would be 600 yards of 100 pound hollow core braid, then a 25 yard topshot of 100 pound fluorocarbon, with the drag set to 30 pounds at strike (30%) and 50 pounds at full (50%). loading the braid under 20 pounds of tension as it comes off the bulk spool will assure that the line will never dig in.  the problem is the most line winders can't deliver more then 5 pounds of tension on the bulk spools, hence the problem that many anglers here will have with big fish. 

this example is extreme.  but, then, so is a goliath grouper.  what complicates the picture is the increase in drag as the line lets out.  back to that same international 30, if you have the drag set to 30 pounds at strike, then let out 400 yards (2/3rds) of you line, the diameter of the spool is cut in half and the drag tension is doubled.  and that is usually when the line digs in.  well, then, or sooner. 

bottom line, your line was likely spooled on too loose. what makes no sense to me is that you were fishing with a small reel and heavy dacron.  the soft graphite frame should have shattered under those circumstances.  my recommendation would be a full aluminum framed reel like the penn 30 visx or okuma makaira 20.  it sounds like you are taking a knife to a gunfight.  the smaller fish i understand, but not the grouper. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

What Alan said!  I recently fought a 150# tuna.  The reel was a Fathom 40NLD2, 80# braid with 80# topshot.  Alan spooled the braid with 20# tension.  You couldn't dig a fingernail into the braid it was so tight.  The fish pulled 27# of drag, up to 5o# as the spool was emptied to 1/4.  The key is the tightness that doesn't allow the line to dig in.  As I fought the fish the line was "respooled" under tension, ultimately repacking with 50# gradually lessening to 27#.  Braid is a whole new mindset to those who fished Dacron and mono.  God help those who remember linen 😆. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

boon

As above, just needs to be spooled correctly (aka under reasonable tension) and you won't have issues with it binding up by digging into the spooled line.

day0ne

Besides being bigger in diameter, Dacron will also degrade in sunlight easier, while Spectra or Dyneema will not. Dacron is also somewhat prone to rot.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

handi2

One big problem I have found is that the service spool tension is too loose.

When spooling the braid on a reel the braid digs into the service spool!

No problem with Jerry Brown
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

You might wanna do some searching for a shop that can spool your braid at the 20% level, if you don't already know of one. We had one place on the Island that could do it, but their machine broke down and last time I checked, they wanted to do it the same way I do, donner reel to main reel. This is hard on the donner reel  drag washers  and the crank system on the main reel, and my arms!  Don't trust anyone else to do it that way, except ME!

Will get back to you on fishing the Islands sometime this weekend(PM).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!