fthm 24 nld2 drag material came unglued metal backing

Started by roadrunner, January 22, 2023, 04:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadrunner

0.jpg

drag washer for fathom 25 NLD2
in picture, you can see wear on metal plate where drag material has worm against metal.  minor cosmetic wear in my opinion.

normal is drag material is attached/glued to the metal backing. This is how Penn sells replacement drags.

drag material is in very good condition and I want to reuse.

Anyone know what Penn uses to attach the material to the metal ?

sciaenops

Just serviced mine for 1st time last week. Didn't recall any adhesive...maybe just a lite coat of grease to the mating side of the c-fiber drag washer?

Bill B

Keith is correct.  No glue, there is a circle clip that holds it in place.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

roadrunner

this photo may help clarify my issue.0-1.jpg

above photo is the metal drag plate that the drag washer rubs on to give you drag.  this drag plate is attached to the gears/handle side of the reel.  The drag friction comes from the surface of the metal drag plate rubbing on the drag material on the spool side.

the metal in my original photo is just a backing attached to the drag material.  this metal disc ( and drag material) is attached to the side of the spool using a thin ring clip.  the three parts( spool, thin metal backing, & the drag material) move/spin as a single unit against the metal drag plate in my photo above.

my issue is the drag material is spinning against BOTH METALS as it came unglued from the backing.  drag material in outstanding condition now and replacement drag ( material w/attached metal backing ) runs a little over $60 w/ shipping.

so hoping someone knew the glue Penn uses verses just gluing it with anything.

hope this explains it all better.  got 2 drags needing this glue fix

oldmanjoe

I believe you were giving the correct answer already ,they are not glued .  post a picture of the other side of the carbon fiber plate , let`s see if there is remaining glue marks in the weave .
   Then there is pictures here in two pieces .   https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/117A-FTH25NLD2.aspx

I believe the drag would work better with a floating friction .
      If you want to glue one side than i would try  3m trim adhesive , a yellow glue from the auto parts store .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

roadrunner

Oldmanjoe.  thank you for the reply.  Never thought of looking at the back of my drag material.  here is a picture of it. shinny & smooth IMG_4980.JPG

here is the front of my drag material. Usual rough woven fiber.
No message is associated with this attachment.

it does appear to have an adhesive on the back of the drag material.

On the mystic parts website, they show the front and back of the drag washer. front is regular drag material. back is the metal disc they glue the drag material to.

I am waiting for a friend at Penn to reply but have heard of a special glue Penn uses.

Luckily I have more than a few reels so one is set aside till I sort this out. Next trip is an 18 day in March so I have time to wait. 

Alan returns from fishing today so I hope he chimes in.
thanks again

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare