Need spool tensioner and spring for Heddon 421 - any substitutes?

Started by spoolin01, June 25, 2022, 09:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoolin01

A friend lost the spool tensioner cap and spring from his nice Heddon 421 yesterday while we were out fishing .  I suppose the likliest solution is to buy a parts reel, but I was wondering if there might be other models or makes with these same two parts? Perusing the web, I haven't found any obvious matches with other Heddon reels, but can't really make the best comparison from the available pics.  Did Olympic make this reel?  That could broaden the field somewhat - there's at least one Olympic I saw that might be a donor candidate.  Anyone know of any others?

20220625_140450.jpg

philaroman

thorhammer

spoolin01

Thanks for the tips!  The K-Mart route looks worth investigating, as the others are more in demand.  Time to pore of K-Mart reels on eBay...

spoolin01

Thought I'd scored with a reasonably priced K-Mart 307.  It's a slightly larger reel but the spool tensioner looked about right sized.  Turns out the threads are a hair undersized for the Heddon 421.  Thinking I'll just refurb this K-Mart reel, and give it to the guy.  Could buy another 421, and part this one out.

Wompus Cat

A guy about 20 miles from me has the end cap .
I will going out there next week .It is 8 dollars plus probablly 4 bux to ship. IF the Reel is worth that to him let me know via P/M and I will get one while I am there .
Parts for the Heddons are pretty scarce these days and some of those Reels are fetching a Tidy sum .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

spoolin01

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 21, 2022, 12:30:58 PMA guy about 20 miles from me has the end cap .
I will going out there next week .It is 8 dollars plus probablly 4 bux to ship. IF the Reel is worth that to him let me know via P/M and I will get one while I am there .
Parts for the Heddons are pretty scarce these days and some of those Reels are fetching a Tidy sum .
That would be great.  Does that include the spring (isn't there a spring under that cap?)?  Either way, the price is fine.

Wompus Cat

Pretty sure it has a spring and if he has one I feel it will be included .Will let ya know soon as I get it my Hat lil Hand.
May see him this week end But just getting over the Plague so may not go anywhere this week end . Have not been any where for over a month now  .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him