PENN old vs. newer 12/0 DRAG QUESTION

Started by GORDASKIPPER, June 27, 2022, 03:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GORDASKIPPER

Started a new post I didn't respond to my old post quickly enough. What if any difference is between the older 5-piece asbestos drag washers (top) and the newer carbon fiber lower? I read here that the upgrade at $42.00 is smoother however what other differences are there? This reel is really rust-free just black grease. This picture shows the older drag stack and the newer one Penn Drag stacks.jpg below it. Thanks again

alantani

greased carbon fiber is the way to go.  the old drag washers will start sticking immediately.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Asbestos is a carcinogen. Especially if you breathe dust from it. Those washers have good heat resistance, but don't seem to respond to drag grease application as well as carbon fiber. There can be "start-up" issues with asbestos as well. You know, when pulling pressure is first applied and the drag resists functioning as it should until too much pressure finally causes it to turn. Also carbon fiber washers seem to work so much better with the addition of Drag grease, than the asbestos washers.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

GORDASKIPPER

6-116SP Kit, Drag Washer Kit HT-100™ with Metals (14 pcs) looks like this is wah I need? However, because my main gear on both newer and older reels are the same size it looks like a fit. Do I have to add the 8 8-116 TENSION SPRING? As you see they are different in my picture on the far right. The old one is a flimsy thin brass?

Gfish

Questions: sorry to answer a ? With a ?, but, you have 2-116's, one older than the other? You want to upgrade the drag system on the... older one with asbestos washers, right? I can see that the top most drag arrangement is incorrect; looks like 2-keyed washers(holes have 2-flat sides) in a row at the bottom(right side of picture). Should be alternating—keyed metal/ carbon fiber (or asbestos)/eared metal, etc. Also, look like you have metal washers at the bottom inside the mai gear? Or is that just me?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

The closest I come to the 12/0 is a 6/0 114H. So I don't know all the in's and out's of the 12/0 series. It looks like a little collar washer is the last one on the lower(newer?)drag stack. And can't tell what the last washer is on the older stack. If you haven't already looked on the Mysticpennparts web-site, they will have a schematic that includes the different era variations for drag and other parts.

Bill B

I would install the kit with the brass wavy washer. Worse case your drag stack is not tall enough, but I doubt it.  The other is a fast ramp up of drag pressures.  If that's the case then order a new wavy washer.  Might even order one with the new kit if you haven't placed the order yet.  Greased carbon fiber drags will give you silky smooth drag pressures from beginning to end.  As G-Fish talked about the "start up" is when the drag first starts to slip.  A smooth start up results in no jerkiness to the slip.  When drags become jerky or sticky the pressure on the line becomes too much and break offs occur.   Ill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: GORDASKIPPER on June 27, 2022, 07:57:07 PM6-116SP Kit, Drag Washer Kit HT-100™ with Metals (14 pcs) looks like this is wah I need? However, because my main gear on both newer and older reels are the same size it looks like a fit. Do I have to add the 8 8-116 TENSION SPRING? As you see they are different in my picture on the far right. The old one is a flimsy thin brass?
Yes is the short answer , it`s there to make up the difference in friction heights . 

Your old stack would have worked better if it did not start with a brass key washer .    I would have put it on top of the last keyed washer ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

GORDASKIPPER

Quote from: Gfish on June 27, 2022, 08:45:38 PMQuestions: sorry to answer a ? With a ?, but, you have 2-116's, one older than the other? You want to upgrade the drag system on the... older one with asbestos washers, right? I can see that the top most drag arrangement is incorrect; looks like 2-keyed washers(holes have 2-flat sides) in a row at the bottom(right side of picture). Should be alternating—keyed metal/ carbon fiber (or asbestos)/eared metal, etc. Also, look like you have metal washers at the bottom inside the mai gear? Or is that just me?

Yes two newer models and one older. The bottom drag stack is in order the other old stack is not getting rid of is anyway...I'm going to do an upgrade Mystic parts says I may need an extra metal washer so I'll go that route. thanks for the input.