Casting triggers... You get what you pay for

Started by JasonGotaProblem, June 28, 2022, 10:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Some time ago I bought a casting trigger for one of my surf rods. I initially had it taped on. But I decided I love it so much I'm gonna build it into the rod. Well shortly after attaching the grip that goes above the one shown, I discovered the crack. So I tried to clean it with acetone before gluing it back, and when I did the whole thing just fell apart on me. Turns out that type of plastic doesn't like acetone.

Did I buy the $30 'genuine' breakaway cannon? Nope. I bought the $10 Amazon version. Lesson learned. Guess which version I bought for round 2...
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Crow

I bought the "cannon" one, but so far, I guess Id say I'm too dumb to use it correctly..or something :-\ ! It doesn't feel "comfortable" using it....so I just rely on a callused finger...or a glove :P
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

• found out that this TYPE of device works for you
  • figured out where to permanently affix it
  • got through the learning curve
  • got a reminder to keep acetone away from plastic
         (BTW, keep acetone away from carbon blanks!!!)

not bad, for $10 -- better than wasting $30 on something you don't want/need...  glass half-FULL

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on June 28, 2022, 12:50:43 PM
  • found out that this TYPE of device works for you
  • figured out where to permanently affix it
  • got through the learning curve
  • got a reminder to keep acetone away from plastic
        (BTW, keep acetone away from carbon blanks!!!)

not bad, for $10 -- better than wasting $30 on something you don't want/need...  glass half-FULL

Wait now, hold the phone! What's this about acetone and carbon blanks? That's my preferred way to remove any finger oils to prep for epoxy. In fact a lot of acetone has been applied to this blank. Trouble?

I struggle to see how this concept doesn't work well for everyone. The casting action is no different you're still holding on with your index finger til you're ready, and releasing that finger's grip when it's time to cast. The only way I can see to get it wrong is mounting it too high (which I totally did on my first attempt), or some reels have bail wires long enough to get in the way. Not saying anything negative to those who have had issues, I just don't see where the problem is, other than those.

philaroman

pretty sure I read on rodbuilders.org that acetone may degrade some epoxies used in blank construction
(not the fibers, themselves & more likely w/ carbon than glass blanks)
why risk even a tiny loss of structural integrity?  
might go unnoticed, 'til you hook that trophy few years down the line
denatured alcohol is cheap enough & smells better, IMO

JasonGotaProblem

Yeah I'll stop using acetone on blanks then. Learn something new every day.

Cor

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 28, 2022, 02:34:09 PMYeah I'll stop using acetone on blanks then. Learn something new every day.
I use and have for many years used Acetone as a cleaning agent when I want to remove all oils.
'
There obviously are things that it does not agree with but I've never had issues with reels or graphite blanks
Cornelis

JasonGotaProblem

How big an order would it take to get one of our lovely forum machinists to make a metal version of this? I could do the cad work.

I bet even a cast aluminum version would be a structural improvement.

jurelometer

Acetone dissolves cured epoxy, and is one of the main components of the soup used in experiments in carbon fiber recovery/recycling.

The thing about acetone is that it vaporizes very quickly, so if you just rub a small amount on your blank, it will vaporize before it has a chance to penetrate much.

The thing about acetone is that it vaporizes very quickly. So it goes down your gullet and starts doing its solvent stuff on your insides, including central nervous system.  And it absorbs through skin contact too.  Folks that had more experience messing with chemicals, really emphasized that I needed to respect solvents (humans are soluble), and to use the minimum  necessary to get the jobs done.  Acetone for fingerprints seems a bit overkill.

Good old isopropyl alcohol is a much less toxic solvent that does not leave a residue, and works fine for me for removing grease, fingerprints, uncured/half cured epoxy, degreasing reel parts, cleaning cork drags, etc. 99% IPA evaporates very quickly, sometimes too quickly, but it is what I tend to use.  70% is what is you mostly see in the supermarket, as it evaporates slowly enough to stick around the time it takes kill germs for decontaminating and cleaning.

On the triggers: nothing wrong with the right plastic with proper design.  But it is a mechanical device exposed to stress, so I would tend not to want to permanently build on into a rod. It might need replacement at some point, plus I might want to relocate a bit over time.  Mebbe come up with  a clever deign to make a nice platform or mounting setup of some sort for the trigger?

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Interesting idea. A trigger tray, of sorts. I like it. Though that may be a future project. And also that may be the better product to get machined? The trigger itself being disposable when not if it fails, but the attachment point is robust and can be permanently affixed. Gonna give that some thought. Heck, maybe the answer is something not so different in concept from a 2nd smaller reel seat above the regular one.

What complicates this repair is that I decided to go weird, and do a S. African style surf rod, but I'm doing it as a split grip so about 8" above the foregrip pictured is an additional 14" EVA grip, that I did a good job attaching and a better job contouring. At least relative to my own skill. So I really don't wanna cut it off.

Since the rod came stock with heat shrink over thin layer of foam, and that's still in place on the rear grip, I think im gonna cut off the piece I trimmed to fit on the trigger, wrap with cork tape (maybe 2 layers) and heat shrink over that. I'll then thread wrap and epoxy to attach the new casting trigger on top of that small foregrip. When it fails I'll just plan on replacing the shrink band it sits on as well.

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 28, 2022, 02:55:11 PMHow big an order would it take to get one of our lovely forum machinists to make a metal version of this? I could do the cad work.

I bet even a cast aluminum version would be a structural improvement.

Model it up and let's see what happens...
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Swami805

No acetone on rod blanks, many manufacturers post a warning on the literature. EPA works well and is a good prep for multiple coats of rod finish
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

You might be thinking I learned my lesson. Nope. Big nope. But it wasn't hard so if it fails again I'll redo it again. I'll attempt to fill in the gaps the same way into with cork. But no big deal that's not where your hand ever goes.

Test casting about 100yds and I'm still kinda figuring out the southpaw cast thing.

steelfish

how much weight are you casting with your surf rod that you need a breakaway cannon trigger?

I have read its recommended for when casting heavy weights and where you put a lot of power on the casting and specially using braid line.

The Baja Guy

Cor

Quote from: steelfish on July 03, 2022, 01:55:20 AMhow much weight are you casting with your surf rod that you need a breakaway cannon trigger?

I have read its recommended for when casting heavy weights and where you put a lot of power on the casting and specially using braid line.

Maybe get Jeri's opinion on this one.    They use these devices in Namibia on their heavy casting rods.
Cornelis