Zebco Cardinal Spool

Started by rakulack, June 29, 2022, 07:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakulack

Found a couple of Cardinal Spools but they won't stay on the spindle.  There doesn't seem to be anything on the little black clips that would go in the spindle slot so it locks into place.  Anyone have a work -around. Thanks for your thoughts.    Roger

Midway Tommy

Looks like you are missing the main shaft catch spring. It won't stay in the groove on the main shaft without that spring.

BTW, It's not a part you can purchase. You have to find someone who's spool front popped off and beg one off of them.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

PacRat

I don't have a spool that's disassembled right now so I can't send a photo. You might be able to clip your spool in place with a small clevis keeper like those used on R/C cars. You could check you local hobby shop. You will lose your push-button but you will be back in service.

Something like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/90153A212/
or this: https://www.mcmaster.com/92391A014/

You'll need to check the details and find one that works. The one that's shaped more like an 'A' is very similar to the part you're missing.

Sometimes it's just better to source a new spool. An aluminum spool is over $50 but is good insurance. The plastic spools can come apart if mono is wound on too tight or sometime just from old age.

-Mike

Midway Tommy

Here's the spring you are missing.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Hi Roger —-

Here is a spring for you.

PM me your full mailing address and name —- and I will get it in the mail tomorrow —- No Charge.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.