Something a bit different

Started by JasonGotaProblem, June 30, 2022, 10:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I felt like tackling a different type of project. Maybe one that'll let me skip a step. So I made a pole spear with a 5 prong gig head. The biggest surprise is how expensive surgical tubing has gotten.

Of course I looked up my state's regulations. And they are indeed quite restrictive, so it may not see that much actual use. But this was more about the build.

I used a 6' long 3/4" poplar dowel rod cross wrapped and epoxied for extra strength. Poplar was not my first choice but I couldn't find any harder woods in anything long enough.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Cor

I used a device like that many years ago to get flat fish (Soles) with a friend, he nearly managed to spike his own foot >:D
Nicely made!
Cornelis

philaroman

pretty & sturdy, but will it float...  visibly?
why not boo w/ lead in the spearhead for adequate total weight, but nose-heavy to float like a bobber?
unlike decades ago, there are little groves of free bamboo all over the place

oldmanjoe

Looks good , I think it needs more cross wraps ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Paul Roberts

Nice job. Years ago we speared suckers that ran the creeks in the spring. Not sure why we did. It was a fun, and social, event but destructive. We did not eat them. I'm guessing it was something done by old timers for food that was carried over? Every kid had a gig.

What's the surgical tubing for?

happyhooker

Interesting; poplar should be strong enuf; could consider using broom, rake or shovel handle too.

Frank

JasonGotaProblem

So far I'm just spearing mullet for cut bait, which is pretty fun. I have a cast net but this is more entertaining.

You use the band for momentum. You loop it around your hand and then choke up on the pole. The further up the more tension. And you release it by simply loosening your grip and it rockets off in the direction you're pointing. I could not possibly move my arm as fast as this thing flies.

JasonGotaProblem

Funny thing about throwing out a bloody fish. You tend to attract toothy fish.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

DougK

so it's a kind of hand-launched speargun.. ingenious, I like it..

Keta

They are called pole spears or Hawaiian slings, I used one in the 60's when I was into completion spearfishing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jim Fujitani

Lee,

Did you ever use the two-handed Hawaiian type sling, that has a "cylindrical handle" for the off hand and the pole slid through the handle?  It required the use of both hands.  The handle (for the off-hand/arm) had surgical tubbing wrapped to it, and the strong hand/arm loaded the sling like a bow.  I don't now recall the name nor the evolution of the device.

As I recall, it was faster to "reload" and shoot a second shot more accurately.

JasonGotaProblem

I've been considering a 2nd version that uses a tube that you keep hold of to increase accuracy but there's other design considerations.

I have found though that if I twist the shaft in my hand at least a half turn before loading the band, it launches with a bit of spin to it and is far more accurate. Spear gun rifling?

philaroman

how 'bout tubing attached to secure (buckled?) wrist band?
...or, fingerless glove if shaft chafes your palm w/ prolonged use?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on July 21, 2022, 05:12:02 PMhow 'bout tubing attached to secure (buckled?) wrist band?
...or, fingerless glove if shaft chafes your palm w/ prolonged use?
Problem is newtons 3rd law. If it doesn't stick the ground or a heavy fish and you're still holding it the butt end us coming back to you almost as fast as you shot it. I'm thinking about a paracord leash that I hold in the other hand. But I'm very hesitant to physically attach it to myself in any way. I need to be able to dodge without it following. Its like being on a ladder with a chainsaw. A wrist strap is the last thing you want.

And make sure you have glasses on. It's often coming back toward your face.

The pipe/tube would be to keep it in a straight line. But most the shots are quick draw anyway. By the time you've aimed they've run away.