...and we're back from the rockin' and rolling SOA July 1-4 3-day!

Started by Porthos, July 04, 2022, 07:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

Quote from: MarkT on July 07, 2022, 03:52:08 AMSo Wai, who did you nominate to replace you as "that guy"?
No nomination by me needed...it was self-inflicted on the 3rd day, and everyone on deck...in the galley...saw would have witnessed... ;)

MarkT

Ha Ha Ha... yeah, I'd already forgotten that!  He nominated himself, seconded it and got it by universal acclimation!  :ct
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

boon

I've just got to ask it.... circle hooks on a jig?

I mean if it works it works, right? How do you fish these?

Porthos

It was with ProSpec metered line. Dropped at least 3 colors more than the lowest depth called out by the skipper to account for the drift angle.

The 600H has a 3.1:1, but even under best conditions that night, I wasn't cranking fast to retrieve it through the 120'-240' zone.  I have no ability to sustain any level of cranking that would match the troll speed of 6-8 knots. My steady retrieve with the drift still hooked up.

As I understand, circle hook rigged ballyhoo is trolled for billfish, and billfish can swim just as fast as BFT, so why the beliefs that circles won't work on a jig for blue fin tuna is perplexing.

A circle hook on a jig landed me a BFT, but as always...YMMV.

CI_Seawolf

There are a few Angler's on BD that use large circles and "bridle" flatfall jigs with some success.
Stay Classy!

boon

Porthos

The steady retrieve was to ensure that the knife jig swam...I put a slight bend on it similar to ones found on smaller sized metal swimmers.

Mjg378

Quote from: Porthos on July 08, 2022, 02:15:39 PMThe steady retrieve was to ensure that the knife jig swam...I put a slight bent on it similar to ones found on smaller sized metal swimmers.

Smart idea!
(But I was really hoping to hear that you cast out the golf ball and hooked up!!)
 :fish
Mike

Porthos

Quote from: Mjg378 on July 08, 2022, 05:05:39 PM...(But I was really hoping to hear that you cast out the golf ball and hooked up!!)
 :fish
Mike

Too much buoyancy to get down to 240" by itself and wasn't ready with a rubber band and sinker for night action...

jurelometer

From a logic/design perspective, I suspect that circles would work a lot better than we might expect with these kind of jigs.  The assist cord makes a big difference, as it gets the hook away from the jig.  Those drive by bites are perfect for a circle hook set, and if the fish inhales and drops the jig, it will drag the assist hook across the jaw on the way out.  Similar effect if you pull steady on the jig.

With horizontally falling jigs, most bites happen on the drop, so you are already relying on the fish hooking itself. 

J hooks  or trebles (blech) might only be necessary when speed winding.

That bridle rig looks intriguing, but I would expect that it works best when you are getting a big fish that eats by swimming right through the jig at speed, because you have to get the whole jig  deep inside the mouth to give the circle hook a chance.  Best chance with a speed eater like a tuna that is also fairly large for the jig size. 

Bending a knife jig seems like a mixed bag to me.  The point of a long narrow jig is that you are sacrificing action for a more speedy drop.  The jigs can be designed to drop vertically with slight tension, but to wander a bit sideways with free fall or to have a heavier + wider tail that will allow the jig to drop straight and true, but have a kick on the lift.   A bend will cause the jig to always wobble in the drop and lift, so you will be slowing down the drop, and messing with any kick on the lift.

OTOH, the fish get the final vote on what works best.  As Boon says "if it works, it works". It doesn't matter if the mod is fighting the design if the fish like it better that way. But a sample size of one is not strong evidence.

Surprised that the jig is bendable.  A thin jig like that should be a harder alloy.  Bending does weaken the material substantially, but I guess if it is through-wired, you won't lose the fish. Each subsequent bend (including straightening) is worse than the original, so it may be best to treat jig bending as a one-shot deal.

-J

Porthos

Quote from: jurelometer on July 08, 2022, 07:08:28 PM...OTOH, the fish get the final vote on what works best.  As Boon says "if it works, it works". It doesn't matter if the mod is fighting the design if the fish like it better that way. But a sample size of one is not strong evidence...

I went with "...the road less traveled..." and presented what I fished to be most likely different than anything else being dropped around me. It was the end result of fusing different elements that others have reported to be successful.

That being said, there was nothing in my inventory with "Katy Perry" colors...and with night drops down to 120'- 300', will BFT actually see those colors or was it just to more to catch the fisherman at the tackle shop? Inclined to believe the latter...

mo65

Quote from: Porthos on July 07, 2022, 02:59:39 AM
Quote from: mo65 on July 07, 2022, 02:36:54 AMGreat report Wai! 8)

Will you ever come out to join us, Mo?

With inflation and fuel prices so high...I'm doing good just to make the 100 mile trek to my brother's place to go fishing. I'd need to hit the lotto to get all the way to the west bank! ;D But I appreciate the invite Wai! :fish
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pjstevko

Gents the 2023 July 3 day trip dates just got posted!

Hope to see you all again on this trip!

David Hall

I forgot who it was and I need to know, who did I get that beautiful blue handle from?
 :d

It looks and feels great on the Mak20.