Model 810 10/0

Started by Shellbelly, September 30, 2023, 04:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

This is a 10/0 model 810 cradle reel.  It's been presented on another site before but some may not have seen one.  This is my first OC 10/0 and here's what's inside.  Overall, it's in used but in good working condition.  None of the internals are excessively worn and the reel works smoothly without any slop or unusual sound.  Cosmetics are fair with a repair showing on the gear side plate.  The chrome has seen moderate corrosion but there weren't any active spots.  Some of the frame screws aren't correct but that's how it goes sometimes.  I believe the handle is a later-model replacement. 

It's easy to work on and this one was pretty clean inside.  The main gear is pretty darn big at 2"...and heavy.  The pinion is also substantial.  OC had a unique method of driving the spool which I believe, preserves the pinion.  The rings are tight so I decided it was best to leave them on the plates.  I haven't decided if I want to remove the line.  I probably should clean and seal the spool, then put it back on.

You probably could fish the reel, but that plate repair might be a concern if you hook something this beast is built to handle. 

Not a model you see every day. As always, I'd like to hear if anybody has used one of these or a 610. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Shellbelly

For some reason, my parts pic didn't show up :o IMG_1002.jpeg

Strange?!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

oldmanjoe

I do believe that is a 610 .  The 810 sat in a cradle
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

Correct.  They came in a cradle from the factory.  The 610 stand could be installed on these since the holes line up correctly.  This makes some sense because you wouldn't be shut down if the cradle failed and the cradle assemblies were discontinued and unavailable. Adding a stand makes this reel identical to a 610. 

It's interesting that some of the screws on this reel seemed too long and were stressed.  This could indicate that these are the screws needed for mounting to the cradle.  Shorter screws weren't substituted when the cradle went away.  The original screws were forced back into service, possibly into the taper.     

Also, from what I've read, the badges on the OC Big Game reels can be changed/replaced by driving out the pins from inside the plate.  This one has a 3rd pin that doesn't go through the plate.  It partially blocks the "8" on the model #.  This pin would be risky to remove. 

So, this particular reel has raised a few questions...as some do when they resurface.  It also gives us an opportunity to learn a little more and spread that around.

1badf350

Here's some discussion on that third rivet in the emblem. Starting towards the bottom of page 1
https://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?t=9521
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Shellbelly

That is a good read, Chris.  This particular example here in this thread has been around and under the microscope. Might have shed a few parts along the way or seen some corrosive offshore action since 2010.  History of a vintage reel is important provenance.  I appreciate the link to my reel's history. ;)  ;)  8)