Surprising 900H sleeve fix

Started by Cuttyhunker, October 05, 2022, 03:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

IDSC02405.JPGDSC02407.JPGDSC02406.JPG 

I picked up a 900H on a quality stand up rod over the summer for seventy-five bucks.  The Daiwa was clearly well neglected and loaded with salt,  the frozen handle swung about 30 degrees on the damaged sleeve, so into a milk crate it went.  Last week I put it on the bench finding the only available sleeves, SS repros, at about 40 bucks a pop and about the same for the handle wondered if it was worth the effort.  I had a Penn 29-57 handle I got from the boss and tried it on the bad sleeve as the handle holes on both brands are similar in size and shape.  The handle hole was a shade too small for the sleeve to get a hand fit but so close I used the handle nut to screw press it onto the brass sleeve.  It fit, it was tight, and worked fine on the sleeve after the nut was fully tightened.  Wondering if it was just a one time fix that would turn to crap when the handle was removed, I pulled it from the sleeve and reattached, still good.  So if you run into an obsolete 600H or 900H with a loose handle on the sleeve try any old Penn 6/0 or 9/0 handle you may have in the stash for a good quick easy fix, if it does't work in your case at least you'll be no worse off than when you started.
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

'HuuunnnKerrr! Good fix.
I really love some of the Daiwa out of the box design/engineering. Especially those frame/side-plate/ring units. Don't love the smallish handle/knob's though.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cuttyhunker

Hey big G, the 57 is a hand full.
Doomed from childhood

Gfish

Cool.
So on the 900H the handle nut goes down into the gear sleeve? If so, the threads had to be different, so maybe you cut new ones with the Penn nut?, or is that the Daiwa nut?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cuttyhunker

Everything there is Daiwa except the handle, even the tiny lock nut fit correctly on the Penn handle. I removed the oval spring washer between the sleeve and handle as the spring tabs were at a right angle to the new handle sticking up from the sides and looked like little knives waiting to happen on a rushed drag adjustment.  The "star" nut is close to but not exactly the same as a Penn 116 nut , but Dawn's long multi star and hex wrench works fine on both brands.
Doomed from childhood