Penn 710 repair

Started by oldreelcatchum, July 23, 2022, 02:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldreelcatchum

ebay seller may have sent me the incorrect pinion gear.The best way forward may be to replace the gear,bearing and pinion gear bushing. I'm corresponding with Fred to "get it right" This ebay transaction occurred a few months before I came across this forum.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oldreelcatchum on July 25, 2022, 02:22:56 AMebay seller may have sent me the incorrect pinion gear.The best way forward may be to replace the gear,bearing and pinion gear bushing. I'm corresponding with Fred to "get it right" This ebay transaction occurred a few months before I came across this forum.

I wounder if the gear was over polished over the years and lost the fit to the bearing ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldreelcatchum

I pre ah sumed ebay gear was NOS, but No. It was advertised as New, but was not in original package. Mr. Fred fixed me up.

oldreelcatchum

The NOS pinion bearing from foakes fit correctly (snug) on the original pinion gear, the other 2 did not , so I stayed with the original gear. Now the retrieve is very smooth. You can see that the original drag knob, handle, and housing plate have been replaced. Some day I might luck up and find an original housing plate, the other parts I can live with. Thanks all.

oc1

Well, you have the medallion so that's a good start.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oldreelcatchum

The 27A-710 Lead Counterbalance Rotor Weightd (for Orig 27-710 or 711 rotor) that I purchased earlier this year from Mystic is of a different design from the original, (see photos) even though their photo shows the original. It does fit correctly. My question is, Do both counterbalance weights have the same weight ? Even if I had access to a digital scale, a piece of the original weight is missing. There may not be enough difference to question but then again. The original weight is on the right.

foakes

The earliest 710's —- whether green, black, or dimpled black —- had the original counterweight like you show as broken.

As the 710 evolved —- at some point it changed to the newer style with the (2) rectangular domes.

In this newer version —- the inside of the rotor also has a "cradle type" nesting area for the counterweight.

This cradle of additional aluminum material could be the difference in how much each weight weighs.

The original is 26 grams, the later version is 20 grams.

I doubt that this would make any difference in performance or balance, though.

Should work just fine.  No worries.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldreelcatchum

Thanks Fred for dissecting the answer so thoroughly. My perfectionist side can rest easy now !

ABEC357

This would be SR6 bearing (0.3750 x 0.8750 x 0.2812 inch size).